Best Way to Backup My Desktop

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
DonStevenson

Best Way to Backup My Desktop

Post by DonStevenson » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 am

Please forgive me if this has been asked. I have used Rdrive Image (RDI) to make images of my internal hard drives and I have been able to restore them. My question is what is the best way to use this software as a regular scheduled backup program? Since there is no actual "Backup" Wizard, I assuming this is all done thru the "Create Image" wizard, yes? Will this allow me to create an on going differential or incremental image, that can be restored with the emergency boot disk, but also allow me to extract individual files as required?

Thanks for the time and patience on this.

DS

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Best Way to Backup My Desktop

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:54 pm

You may create tasks for full imaging, or differential/incremental images and run them as needed. See: Scheduler and Unattended Actions
Access to individual files: Mount an Image as a Virtual Logical Disk.

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:54 am

Thanks, I did figure that part out. So I am using a "Simple" rotation scheme that involves Full and differential images. I see multiple image files being created. When I go to recover, I assume I will need my most recent full image and my most recent Differential image, yes? Does R-Drive Image Restore figure this out or do I need to do two seperate image restores, to be whole again?

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:32 am

DonStevenson wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 11:54 am
Thanks, I did figure that part out. So I am using a "Simple" rotation scheme that involves Full and differential images. I see multiple image files being created. When I go to recover, I assume I will need my most recent full image and my most recent Differential image, yes? Does R-Drive Image Restore figure this out or do I need to do two seperate image restores, to be whole again?

Thanks
Yes, if you want to restore the latest backup, you need the latest full image and the latest differential image.
If you have several differential images, you may select the date of imaging to restore.

You may read more about image restoration in the on-line help: Restore Data from an Image.

DonStevenson

Post by DonStevenson » Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:02 am

So as long as I have disk space I can choose to only create full images correct?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:52 am

DonStevenson wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:02 am
So as long as I have disk space I can choose to only create full images correct?
Yes. But this is not a recommended option.