Complete Newbie

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
XrayDoc88

Complete Newbie

Post by XrayDoc88 » Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:54 pm

I just started the 30 day free trial of R-Drive Image. I don't like the auto generated file name that the program inserted for my C drive. It calls it HDD2. Is there any problem changing file names manually before the backup begins? Does that cause problems with restores to HDD2 if the names don't match?

Also, I'm curious about the approximate % of compression that occurs using the RDR file format. I noticed there was a slider and it obviously depends on the source material. But is the compression enough to use RDR, or should I just use VHDX instead? I don't really plan on encrypting nor adding passwords to my backups.

Finally, do you prefer differential over incremental backups? Do you throw in a full back up every so often?

Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Complete Newbie

Post by Alt » Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:16 pm

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Wed Apr 05, 2023 10:54 pm
I don't like the auto generated file name that the program inserted for my C drive. It calls it HDD2. Is there any problem changing file names manually before the backup begins?
No problem, you may name the file as you like.
XrayDoc88 wrote:
Does that cause problems with restores to HDD2 if the names don't match?
No, that doesn't
XrayDoc88 wrote:
But is the compression enough to use RDR, or should I just use VHDX instead? I don't really plan on encrypting nor adding passwords to my backups.
VHDX doesn't support compression.
XrayDoc88 wrote:
Finally, do you prefer differential over incremental backups? Do you throw in a full back up every so often?
Differential: Appended changes will be those between the saved full image and the current state. If there is no full image, it will be created instead. When restoring data, you will need the full image and ONLY the differential file created at the instant to which you want to restore data.
Incremental: Appended changes will be those between the last saved changes and the current state. If there is no full image, it will be created instead. When restoring data, you will need the full image and ALL files (both incremental and differential ones) created to the instant to which you want to restore data.
Minimum file sizes: If you need to keep only the latest backup instant, you may use the Append changes differentially to the existing image option and delete all previous differential files. If you need to keep all instances, you may use the Append changes incrementally to the existing image option to keep overall file sizes smaller.
Data safety: If any of the differential file is damaged, data will be lost only for that backup instant. If any of the incremental file is damaged, data will be lost for all subsequent backup instances starting from the damaged file until the next full of differential backup.

XrayDoc88

Post by XrayDoc88 » Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:55 am

Thank you Alt. I realize that the VHDX format has no compression. My question was is it worth using RDR instead because the amount of compression is actually meaningful with RDR. Or do you typically only save about 10% of the VHDX file size?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:06 am

XrayDoc88 wrote:
Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:55 am
My question was is it worth using RDR instead because the amount of compression is actually meaningful with RDR. Or do you typically only save about 10% of the VHDX file size?
That's greatly depends on the disk content. Sometimes it's 50%, sometimes 10%, Generally, the less data on the disk, the higher compression ration.