Backup to shared folder

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
packerman

Backup to shared folder

Post by packerman » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:39 pm

Hi.

I'm trying to figure out how run a backup to a network shared folder. I get to the Select the destination for the new image section.

It has option to put folder path. Most backup programs have a folder path you put in like \\NAS\Backup then they ask for credentials to write data to that location. I haven't been able to figure out how to do the same with R-Drive. I looked through some documentation but have been unsuccessful. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Backup to shared folder

Post by Alt » Mon Jul 10, 2023 11:58 am

Does you try to set up a task, or just perform actions manually? If the latter, just connect the share manually before performing the action.

packerman

Post by packerman » Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:45 am

Sorry I didn't see your response.

I opened R-Drive Image and selected Create image. Selected partition then I get to Select Destination for the new image. This is where I'm drawing a blank.

How do I connect the share manually?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:42 am

packerman wrote:
Tue Jul 11, 2023 1:45 am
How do I connect the share manually?
Using File explorer. Right-click This PC and select Map network drive. And follow the steps.

packerman

Post by packerman » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:01 am

Wow so you require that Windows has access to the folder share in order to do backups? What about ransomware and other offenders who could just delete the backup? I can't remember the last time I saw a backup program that couldn't prompt and encrypt credentials for a folder share.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:47 pm

Any backup Windows software works with network shares through its host Windows system. Regardless of whether it connects to a share itself or using an already created share by Windows/user.

You may though use a standard URL syntax:  \\[[domain;]username[:password]@]hostname\share\path

packerman

Post by packerman » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:08 pm

Sorry I'm not familiar with \\[[domain;]username[:password]@]hostname\share\path

Let's say my share is \\nas\backup

Username is admin and password is password. Just using this as example. How would that be filled out in the path above please?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:17 pm

packerman wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:08 pm
Let's say my share is \\nas\backup
Username is admin and password is password. Just using this as example. How would that be filled out in the path above please?

\\admin:password@nas\backup

packerman

Post by packerman » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:53 pm

So I get to select destination for the new image part.

I put in

\\admin:password@wdmycloudex2\backup in the file name portion. Nothing happens though. What am I missing?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Jul 13, 2023 10:46 am

Did you click the Next button? And did you add a disk name to the path?