Surface Pro 9 - Startup Disk

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
gary271

Surface Pro 9 - Startup Disk

Post by gary271 » Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:50 am

Hi everybody,

I am evaluating R-Drive Image and am using a new Surface Pro 9 with Windows 11 Pro to do so.

I had no issue creating my first image (although unlike ATI, the image seems to be BitLocker encrypted - it needed the recovery key to mount the image) - but I'm struggling to create a startup disk.

I created a WindowsPE USB startup disk, had no problem getting the Surface to boot from it - but when I get to the R-Drive license screen I cannot interact with it - no mouse pointer at all. Touch screen, keyboard and track-pad are all completely unresponsive - I had to re-boot into Windows.

I created a Linux-based USB startup disk, but couldn't get the Surface to boot from it at all.

Has anybody had success with the Surface Pro 9 ? Does anyone know what I might be doing wrong ?

Many thanks for any help
~GP

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Surface Pro 9 - Startup Disk

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:19 pm

gary271 wrote:
Sat Jul 15, 2023 11:50 am
I am evaluating R-Drive Image and am using a new Surface Pro 9 with Windows 11 Pro to do so.
gary271 wrote:
I created a WindowsPE USB startup disk, had no problem getting the Surface to boot from it - but when I get to the R-Drive license screen I cannot interact with it - no mouse pointer at all. Touch screen, keyboard and track-pad are all completely unresponsive - I had to re-boot into Windows.
Unfortunately, WindowsPE has a very limited set of device drivers. Is it possible to connect a USB mouse to the Surface Pro 9?
gary271 wrote:
I created a Linux-based USB startup disk, but couldn't get the Surface to boot from it at all.
You need to disable secure boot in Surface Pro 9, if it's possible.