How do I create a Differential image?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
RaguelBaker

How do I create a Differential image?

Post by RaguelBaker » Sun Aug 06, 2023 7:53 pm

I know this is a really stupid question. I just purchased R-Drive Image. I successfully created a full image using the Create Image option from the main menu. But when I try to create a Differential image (Create Image-> "select the main system hard drive" panel/click NEXT-> "Select the destination for the new image" panel, click on a folder or drive with enough space), the Imaging Mode (lower right corner) only has "Create a new full image" as the only option. It doesn't give Differential or Incremental as drop down options.

I've looked through this forum as well as the online manual and can't find a solution.

Thanks in advance for the help, I don't know why I can't figure it out! :oops:

-- Robert B.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: How do I create a Differential image?

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:28 pm

Did you try to save the differential image in the same place as the full one? Did it have the same name?

RaguelBaker

Post by RaguelBaker » Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:17 pm

Alt wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:28 pm
Did you try to save the differential image in the same place as the full one? Did it have the same name?
I have an external 5TB drive plugged into a USB port on the computer, that's where the full image backup file exists, and I'm trying to select that drive as the destination for the differential image. i assume if I use the same name as the FULL image it will overwrite that file, correct? But even if I select a directory on the D: drive of my computer (or anywhere else) the software doesn't give an option for a differential (or incremental) image.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:30 pm

RaguelBaker wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 2:17 pm
i assume if I use the same name as the FULL image it will overwrite that file, correct?
No! R-Drive Image will ask you if you want to create a new file (the old one will be overwritten), a differential one, or an incremental one.
R-Drive Image online help: Create an Image

RaguelBaker

Post by RaguelBaker » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:41 pm

OK, issue solved. The solution is to literally select the created file name for the full disk image, and then it will provide options to Overwrite, or create a Differential file, or create an Incremental file (which will automatically be named based on the full image file name).

Unfortunately the documentation is not clear about this - it indicates "specify a file name" which is ambiguous and could mean just type a file name, not actually choose an existing image. It also doesn't specify in the log file after creating the differential/incremental image what kind of file it is, other than saying it is "appended" to the original/full image file which could indicate either differential or incremental.

Still, thanks for the information and helping me figure it out! :)