Restoring an image

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
jrd4978

Restoring an image

Post by jrd4978 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:55 pm

In your FAQ under Data Recovery you state:
In the newer version, an R-Studio image can be used by another our software, R-Drive Image, to restore it onto another HDD. So, if your R-Studio image was created by the version that supports such images, then you need R-Drive Image to do so.
So this will only work on a Windows computer, correct? Since R-Drive Image now only works with WIndows. Curious as to why you removed the ability to work with Linux?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Restoring an image

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:12 pm

jrd4978 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:55 pm
In your FAQ under Data Recovery you state:
So this will only work on a Windows computer, correct? Since R-Drive Image now only works with WIndows. Curious as to why you removed the ability to work with Linux?
R-Drive Image has never ever worked under Linux. Only its bootable version can: How to backup and restore disks on Linux and Mac computers using R-Drive Image. The bootable version of R-Drive Image may require activation to fully work with another computer (not the one where R-Drive Image is installed).

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:15 pm

If you have the Technician/T80+ version, you may use Drive Copy Wizard to restore an image to a hard drive. (Linux and Mac versions work the same way.)

jrd4978

Post by jrd4978 » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:59 pm

The bootable version of R-Drive Image may require activation to fully work with another computer (not the one where R-Drive Image is installed).
How would I activate the bootable version on a Linux machine, that is what I want R-drive image for to backup and restore one Linux computer I have.

Prior versions just worked fine. But the latest version isn't activated for Linux. I have all but cried for help here. Your programmers recently changed R-drive so it won't work on Linux, it says (don't remember exact words), not activated for this computer.

Whereas my previous version allowed me to backup and restore my one Linux computer.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:13 pm

If you use the startup (bootable) version of R-Drive Image on a computer other than that on which your copy of R-Drive Image is registered, the R-Drive Image startup disk will work in its Demo mode (with full functionality) for 7 days starting from the date when it was created.

jrd4978

Post by jrd4978 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:04 pm

Missed reply at first.
the R-Drive Image startup disk will work in its Demo mode (with full functionality) for 7 days starting from the date when it was created.
Does that mean if I (just example) backup Linux on September 1, 2023, then in November 2023 I need to restore, If I make a new startup disk first it will again work for the restore for up to 7 days.

Or does it mean the September 1, 2023 backup can only be restored through September 8, 2023. with no chance of a restore after that?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:54 am

jrd4978 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:04 pm
Does that mean if I (just example) backup Linux on September 1, 2023, then in November 2023 I need to restore, If I make a new startup disk first it will again work for the restore for up to 7 days.
Currently yes.