Backing up a Linux system

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
jrd4978

Backing up a Linux system

Post by jrd4978 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:10 pm

I see you changed your KB article on backing up Linux, it now has the added note at the top.

You state that startup version will work 7 days from creation date.

Now does this mean if a Linux computer is backed up, and two months goes by and a restore needs to be done, if a new startup version is created the 2 months later it will work and restore the Linux computer.

Or is it only a one time 7 days? You are not clear on that. I mean if more than 7 days goes by, how would you then use the startup version to perform the restore?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Backing up a Linux system

Post by Alt » Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:24 pm

jrd4978 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:10 pm
Now does this mean if a Linux computer is backed up, and two months goes by and a restore needs to be done, if a new startup version is created the 2 months later it will work and restore the Linux computer.

Or is it only a one time 7 days?
You can create another startup disk, can't you? Soon that'll be changed though.

jrd4978

Post by jrd4978 » Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:28 pm

Soon that'll be changed though.
Why in the World is the company treating customers that way. A customer buys the product, reads about how they can backup and restore their linux computer as well following a KB article from the company. They turn around and say
nah you can't do that

Furthermore in a data recovery article it covers restoring a linux image using Drive Image.

I just don't understand, you say one thing yet do another. Why not just make a Linux version of Drive Image, bootable only, with a simple key a customer can enter after bootup.

Tabnsy

Post by Tabnsy » Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:10 pm

Do I need an external drive to create a backup?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 11:57 am

Not necessary. You may save backup files to any visible disks, but external disks are recommended.