Restoring image on Thunderbolt enclosure drive will not boot

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
iieeann

Restoring image on Thunderbolt enclosure drive will not boot

Post by iieeann » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:52 am

Hi,

I created a backup image of my old laptop boot nvme drive on my new laptop with R-Drive Image software using USB nvme enclosure. I messed up the old laptop few days later.

I have another faster TB3 nvme enclosure. When I restore image with this TB3 enclosure, the old laptop will not boot with 0xc000000e BSOD. The recovered drive has data on it, accessible, but just will not boot the old laptop.

After whole day trying but failed to make it work; I use the earlier USB nvme enclosure to restore the image, and now the old laptop can boot.

Why thunderbolt 3 enclosure won't work? The only difference is when TB3 is used, the PC did not consider it as external drive. Nothing appear at safely remove icon. When USB enclosure is used, the safely remove icon will detect it.

I did not try putting the drive into the laptop nvme slot directly to restore anyway because of troublesome to open the case.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Restoring image on Thunderbolt enclosure drive will not boot

Post by Alt » Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:35 pm

iieeann wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:52 am

After whole day trying but failed to make it work; I use the earlier USB nvme enclosure to restore the image, and now the old laptop can boot.

Why thunderbolt 3 enclosure won't work? The only difference is when TB3 is used, the PC did not consider it as external drive. Nothing appear at safely remove icon. When USB enclosure is used, the safely remove icon will detect it.
Did you start your laptop with TB3 connected? If yes, most likely two disks have the same disk signature which confuses the system.

iieeann

Post by iieeann » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:43 pm

the TB3 is connected to new laptop with R-Drive Image for restoring, nothing to do with startup or not. The restored nvme is taken out and installed into old laptop m.2 slot to boot.

Exactly the same procedure, TB3 restore won't work, but USB restore works.
The new laptop is "helping" the old laptop to backup & restore the boot disk.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Nov 30, 2023 10:39 am

I think you should contact our techsupport because it's necessary to deep dive into the configuration of your systems.
R-TT Technical Support.