RAID 1 after the fact?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
rDriveDingo

RAID 1 after the fact?

Post by rDriveDingo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:22 pm

I have no RAID experience. I have an older computer that I've imaged using R-Drive Image. I added a second internal drive with the hope of making a RAID 1 array. If I am successful setting up a RAID 1 across both drives, is it possible to restore that image to the first RAID drive where it will then copy it to its second RAID drive?
Last edited by rDriveDingo on Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 1 after the fact?

Post by Alt » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:07 pm

If I understand you correctly, you want to create a hardware RAID 1. You may image/restore such objects directly. This help page will help you: Hardware RAIDs. The example is about RAID0, but this is correct for RAID1, too.

rDriveDingo

Post by rDriveDingo » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:19 pm

Almost... I already made the image of a single drive that is NOT PART of a RAID. Then I installed a second new, empty drive. I want to make the first drive and the new second drive into a RAID (#1). After I form a RAID using the BIOS, can I restore the image that I made before to the first drive of the RAID?

The link you posted talks about imaging a RAID. I do not have an image of a RAID; I have an image of a plain, bootable drive.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:30 pm

I believe Yes. At least you'll be able to restore your system back to the original state (a single disk). Provided that you have an image of the single disk, of course. Remember, you need to have an image of the entire hard drive.

rDriveDingo

Post by rDriveDingo » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:00 pm

I had trouble getting the drive to boot after the process. But before I tried all repair options, I read that a "software" RAID (in Windows 7) suited me better, so I went that route, using the plain image restoration and then turning on the Windows' RAID. Thank you for your help.