Mount/Unmount Virtual Disk

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
paulm

Mount/Unmount Virtual Disk

Post by paulm » Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:45 pm

Hi. R-Drive noob here. I'm running the 30 day trial version right now just to make sure the software works with my wife's and my systems. Win10/64 SSD Synology NAS--pretty vanilla setup. Have not tried this on wife's laptop yet.
So I am able to create a full image from my C:\ drive. I am then able to mount the image and recover files/folders from the virtual disk via copy/paste. However, when I click "Unmount Virtual Disks", tick the K: virtual drive, and click "Next", I get a response, "Virtual logical disk K: is currently in use. Force disconnection?" Y/N options. Of course, I click "No". I tried to use Windows Explorer to unmount it, but that option is not presented on the right click menu. The only solution I've found is to reboot the system, and that doesn't seem right. Any suggestions?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Mount/Unmount Virtual Disk

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:38 pm

This happens when a program opens a file on the mounted disk. Any program, not only R-Drive Image. There are two options in this case: first find a program that has opened the file(s) or wait for the files to be released if the program has been already closed. Second forcefully dismount the disk. It's not much dangerous as R-Drive Image mounts disks as read-only.

paulm

Post by paulm » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:58 pm

Thanks. The only programs I had open were R-Drive and Windows Explorer, and I had shut down Win Exp before I tried to release the virtual drive. However I didn't wait a long time before I tried the release. I'll try that.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jan 31, 2024 10:38 am

It's not easy to find out the program that locks the disk. For example, it may have been Windows Defender scanning the newly connected disk.