Can I restore files to a reset drive?

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
debdrex

Can I restore files to a reset drive?

Post by debdrex » Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:36 pm

I created an image using R-Drive Image but didn't realize that I had to click the picture of the hard drive in order to create an Image of the full drive. Thus, my back up was of all of my files but not as a single image. My hard drive became unusable and I realized my mistake when I tried to restore the image to my hard drive. I reset the drive and reinstalled my programs and reinstalled some of my files via FileHistory. There are some files on the image that I made in R-Drive Image that I would like to return to the hard drive but when I try to do that the program tells me that the files have been restored but they aren't anywhere to be found. I am guessing that this is because it's no longer the same drive since I reset it. Is there a way for me to get those files onto my laptop?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can I restore files to a reset drive?

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:10 am

Not quite sure what you want to do. If you need to extract some files from an image, I believe you can do that by mounting the image as a read-only drive, search for those files in that drive and copy them to wherever you want: Mount an Image as a Virtual Logical Disk.

debdrex

Re: Can I restore files to a reset drive?

Post by debdrex » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:38 pm

Thanks Alt. I'm not sure if your suggestion is what I needed. I played around a bit more with the program and realized I had missed seeing some important information about where the file was going when I try to extract one file. It seems to be working pretty well now but thank you for your quick reply.