R-Drive Scheduling --- confused

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
alazanowski

R-Drive Scheduling --- confused

Post by alazanowski » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:45 pm

Hi everyone,

I guess im just getting confused on how to setup the schedules correctly based with the backup sets, etc.

Basically, i want to backup the entire drive that contains the main partition C:\ and maintain the following backup schedule:

Once a week Full backup on Thursday at 6am
an incremental backup daily at 5 am, i will also set this to run every 4 hours for up to 6 recovery points per day.

I'd like to maintain 2 full sets of the above schedule,

so basically should end up with 2 full backups, and 84 incrementals before the next set is started.

How should the schedules be set up? should they be seperated? How/when does it perform a cleanup of older images?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Drive Scheduling --- confused

Post by Alt » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:03 am

An example of a similar schedule is presented in R-Drive Image help:
http://www.drive-image.com/DriveImage_Help/index.html -> Scheduled Actions, Command Line Operations, and Scripting -> Backup Sets
Generally, yes, you have to specify 7 tasks: one for a full backup, the others for the incremental backups. You need to specify the exact time for each backup. And please check that the time of the full backup task doesn't overlap with one of the incremental backups. Maybe, you'll have to set incremental backup tasks for each day except Thursday, and a specific task for that day. I'd rather draw a chart to be sure that the tasks don't overlap.