Time stamps on images created standalone

Disk backup and restore, partition imaging and cloning, and drive copy using R-Drive Image.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Drive Image software
henderbc

Time stamps on images created standalone

Post by henderbc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:35 am

I created several partition images of my system drive using the recovery version of RDI. The image files were stored locally on a data drive.

Later, when I booted back to Windows XP, I noticed that the Modified time stamp on the image files was 5 hours earlier than local time. I checked that the Windows clock was correct and then rebooted to my BIOS setup where the BIOS (hardware) real-time clock setting was also correct.

It may be coincidence, but my time zone is UTC-5. Could it be that RDI is subtracting 5 hours from the RTC retrieved from the hardware RTC before stamping the files?

Any ideas how to correct this?

henderbc

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Time stamps on images created standalone

Post by Alt » Sun Jan 02, 2011 8:34 am

Actually, it's Windows what subtracts 5 hours. RDI simply uses the BIOS time, as it has no idea what the TZ settings are. Windows treats that as if the time is UTC exactly, and then makes the adjustments it believes necessary.
You may correct that using some file manager that can change file time stamps. I use FAR, but there are some others on the market.