SRWare Iron Browser issue

A place to discuss data and privacy protection, file and disk wipe, computer cleaning, and removing traces of user activity with R-Wipe & Clean.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Wipe & Clean and R-Crypto software
logon

SRWare Iron Browser issue

Post by logon » Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:59 am

My 1st post here: hello everyone!

Looking for a Privacy Cleaner which does its job seriously and completely running SRWare Iron 97.0.4950.0 x64 (which is a Chromium-based browser) under Windows 7 Enterprise 64-bit and having tried practically "all" those other out there I found that no one today does work completely: there are those which cancel history, but not download history, there is which does almost everything except deleting cookies in Local Storage and so on.

I finally found "R-TT R-Wipe & Clean" (20.0.2347) and it seems to me that it works promisingly in a so very specific way that I had never seen before.

However at least here I've experienced the following and reproducible issue: starting with very few checked options just in order not to overdo it even from the beginning and to see how the program behaves at least in the basic key points then the user profile does result as broken at the next launch (please look at the first screenshot in attachment).

Anyway it effectively clear the Download History and the Browsing History, but not the Recent closed tabs (please look at the second screenshot in attachment).

Furthermore it rightly clean the Cookies to delete excluding those to keep and also rightly clears the cookies in Local Storage.

So at least here and for now it has not behaved (yet) as I would have hoped, but I believe that few adjustments and some good advice will be enough to reach a good result.

Thanks in advance for any addressing.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: SRWare Iron Browser issue

Post by Alt » Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:54 am

Thank you for the reporting. I've passed it to our developers.

logon

Post by logon » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:47 am

No problem, glad if everything will work.

logon

Post by logon » Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:26 am

Running latest version 2348 (maybe 2347 too) I just noticed an interesting behavior.

However JFYI the Recently closed tabs are still not cleaned and even if the Cookies in Local Storage seem rightly cleared then, since files (not folders) existing in Local Storage folder do result ALL deleted, then a couple of extensions that do store your own settings in Local Storage folder lose their settings.

I'm not a developer, but I noticed/guess other programs that about this last aspect behave very properly they use small executables that read the content of the existing databases in Local Storage folder and then delete only the "cookies" present as such, leaving the other contents of the databases intact and therefore also the settings of those extensions that do store their settings inside the databases themselves.

Anyway the interesting behaviour mentioned above is just the following.

Selecting as I did before the first 4 boxes only (Cache Files, Cookies, Browsing History and Downloading History) and hitting the "Wipe&Clean Now" button then the browser profile does NOT result broken as before.

But, strange enough, if you "Save as Task" those 4 checked boxes and hit the "Start Task Now" button then the browser profile will result as broken at next launch.

I'm sure R-TT developers will easily solve this bug (hoping the other pair as well).

logon

Post by logon » Tue Feb 22, 2022 8:23 am

I can confirm version 2347 corrupts user profile hitting both "Wipe&Clean Now" either "Start Task Now" button.
Both versions delete Local Storage folder content and then extensions settings issue does occur.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:44 am

logon wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 4:26 am
Running latest version 2348 (maybe 2347 too) I just noticed an interesting behavior.

However JFYI the Recently closed tabs are still not cleaned and even if the Cookies in Local Storage seem rightly cleared then, since files (not folders) existing in Local Storage folder do result ALL deleted, then a couple of extensions that do store your own settings in Local Storage folder lose their settings.
Could you name the extensions that lose their settings? That will help us to reproduce the problem.

logon

Post by logon » Thu Feb 24, 2022 2:52 pm

The following extension loses its settings if the "leveldb" folder is emptied

SingleClick Cleaner
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... leddlmckkm

Also the following one behives in the same way

Window Resizer
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ilcgefonfh

although I install it as a CRX file (so now I'm not sure the recent version behives the same to you too) and after installing I deny writing to the corresponding folder in the "Extensions" directory in order to prevent its updating just because I very much like the old-style graphics of the 1.9.1.6 version and instead I don't like its recent updates at all.

Anyway just for the record I can confirm there are at least a couple of "Cleaners" out there - even if not all ones - which are able to clear the "cookies" existing in "Local Storage/leveldb" without to empty the whole folder content and therefore without losing the settings of certain extensions.
However, as said, then they are not able to clean the Download History...

logon

Post by logon » Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:50 am

Just tried version 2349.

Profile corruption issue running as Task - Solved

Recently closed tabs - Stil not clean

"leveldb" folder emptied - Extension settings issue occurs

JFYI The following is another extension that does store its settings in "leveldb" database and then if leveldb folder is emptied then that extension loses its settings and furthermore at next launch a welcome windows is opening (and boring) as if it was just installed.

Disable Cookies
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ggecbleang
Last edited by logon on Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

logon

Post by logon » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 am

Please note that currently the folder where the "Recently closed" tabs are stored is the following

%localappdata%\Chromium\User Data\Default\Sessions

then in order to delete them it is enough to empty that folder.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:51 am

logon wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:06 am
Please note that currently the folder where the "Recently closed" tabs are stored is the following

%localappdata%\Chromium\User Data\Default\Sessions

then in order to delete them it is enough to empty that folder.
You need to clean two items in the SRWare Iron section: Stored Session Commands and Stored Tabs Commands instead.