Brave task not running when Brave exits

A place to discuss data and privacy protection, file and disk wipe, computer cleaning, and removing traces of user activity with R-Wipe & Clean.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Wipe & Clean and R-Crypto software
stardust

Brave task not running when Brave exits

Post by stardust » Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:49 pm

I'm running RWC 20.0 Build 2434 and have a task that is configured to run each time Brave closes. However, I just noticed that it hasn't run by schedule in a very long time (since 2021!).

I have a similar task for Edge, but that one runs correctly when Edge exits.

What is going on here?
Brave task settings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Brave task not running when Brave exits

Post by Alt » Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:15 am

I've passed your problem to our developers.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:54 am

1. Please check out that the path to the brave.exe file in the Custom Task Starting Programs settings is correct.
CustomTaskStartingPrograms.png
2. Please check out that there's no the brave.exe process in the Task Manager when the Brave is closed. Right now the R-Wipe&Clean Scheduler is triggered only when the Brave browser is completely shut down.
TaskSettings.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stardust

Post by stardust » Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:11 pm

The path to brave.exe is correct. The name provided in the config is "Brave".

I use System Informer (formerly called "Process Hacker") to verify that brave.exe has terminated. I also work in IT. I'm not an idiot. The brave.exe process is correctly configured in the utility and is truly terminated when I expect this task to run. The task still isn't running.

I hate to say it but I am very close to uninstalling this software.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 19, 2023 1:11 pm

stardust wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 5:11 pm
I also work in IT. I'm not an idiot. The brave.exe process is correctly configured in the utility and is truly terminated when I expect this task to run. The task still isn't running.

I hate to say it but I am very close to uninstalling this software.
Please... We cannot immediately determine the IQ of each our customer. Thus we have to start from the very basics.
We'll try to find the roots deeper.

stardust

Post by stardust » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:05 pm

I apologize for that response; the result of a bad day mixed with good liquor.

I just deleted the Brave "custom task starting program" and re-added it exactly as before, and now it works for some inexplicable reason. Maybe because I've updated RWC since then.

stardust

Post by stardust » Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:12 am

I'm running the latest version (20.0 build 2449) and this problem is happening again. The task went months without running. I've deleted/re-added the path to brave.exe and reinstalled the application, but this time, it's just not working. Please advise.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:31 pm

I've passed the problem to our developers. Thank you for reporting!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:28 am

Sorry for a long delay in our reply, and the reply isn't short. The situation looks like the following:

A task scheduled may not start due to the following 4 causes:
1. The path to the exe file the task is scheduled to is incorrect on the Task setting -> Custom Task Starting Programs tab.
2. The application hasn't stopped completely (it continues working in background, Windows Task Manager shows its exe file).
3. The R-Wipe&Clean scheduler stops working for some reason (no RwcScheduler.exe in Windows Task Manager). Other scheduled tasks will not work in this case.
4. The task was deactivated.

These are not the cases for your problem, as the information you've provided in this topic shows.

We still cannot reproduce this issue, nor can we determined its possible cause. That is why we'd like to have the following information from you:
1. Is Brave installed for the entire system (C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe) or only for the current user (C:\Users\{UserName}\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe)
2. You told us in your first post that the task has not started because the last task start was in July 2021 (as on the task's Home Page).

But you haven't said anything about R-Wipe&Clean log.
This log has no records about this task start, does it?
The records should be of this type:

{Date Time} STARTING TASK "TaskName". Scheduled to launch at every closing of Brave
{Date Time} TASK "TaskName" FINISHED

Maybe, this task started, but not completely finished. That is why the date of the last start may not be updated on the task Home Page.

3. Are there any other scheduled tasks, and if yes, what events they are scheduled to?

You told us in your first post about a task scheduled to MS Edge closure, but we need info about all scheduled tasks and their events for troubleshooting.

4. Maybe, you can add some other application to the Task Settings -> Custom Task Starting Programs, schedule it to its closure, and see what may happen?

Thank you for your help in advance!

stardust

Post by stardust » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:25 am

Thanks for the reply. Guess what? I deleted the path and plugged it in again, and the task started working again. I don't understand why, as the path was the same before and after.

1. All users. The path I'm using is: C:\Program Files\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe

2. If this happens again, I'll check the RWC log.

3. The only other scheduled task I have is the task that runs cleanup for Microsoft Edge when Edge closes. That task has always worked fine, however it does not rely on a user-supplied path to the .EXE.

4. I will try this and report back. Thanks!