R-Wipe&Clean deletes favorited Chrome cookies

A place to discuss data and privacy protection, file and disk wipe, computer cleaning, and removing traces of user activity with R-Wipe & Clean.
Forum rules
Discussion on the R-Wipe & Clean and R-Crypto software
stardust

R-Wipe&Clean deletes favorited Chrome cookies

Post by stardust » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:15 pm

I'm using R-Wipe&Clean 11.6 Build 2145 on Windows 10 Pro x64 1607, along with Chrome 55.0. I've found that RW&C deletes all Chrome cookies, even those I have moved to the "Favorites" area. This occurs when I have a task set up to clear Chrome data on "Every Closing a Browser", with of course "Google Chrome" selected. The "Cookies" item in the TreeView pane for this task does show a half-selected status, meaning that some cookies have been favorited.

I am using multiple Chrome profiles, but I am not sure if that is related to the issue. What happens is that RW&C deletes all cookies from all profiles, or it will seemingly randomly leave cookies for just one favorited site, and delete all other cookies, favorited or not.

I am sure that the cookies are not being deleted by any other software, nor by Chrome itself. For now, I have cookie deletion disabled in RW&C, and I only have this issue when it is enabled.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: R-Wipe&Clean deletes favorited Chrome cookies

Post by Alt » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:17 am

Thanks for reporting!
I've sent the problem to our developers.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:52 am

Did you add cookies to the favorites for all profiles?
If you have several profiles in Chrome, a cookie name will look like:
{Web Address} ({Cookie Name}) [profile: {Profile Name}]
Did you add the same cookie from all profiles?

stardust

Post by stardust » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:46 am

Yes. To test again, I added all listed cookies to the favorites list. Eventually, RW&C again deleted all cookies present, except (for some reason) one of my credit union's site cookies, ob.cmcu.org. It always leaves those, for some reason.

I have no other applications that would be touching these cookies, and Chrome would not be deleting them itself.

I think what may be happening is that RW&C for some reason removes cookies from the favorites list, and then on the next pass, deletes cookies based on what is in the favorites and/or cookies lists--which at that point means it deletes most cookies.

I'll just disable this functionality. Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:53 am

We could not reproduce the problem in full, but made some alterations in the way R-Wipe & Clean deletes Chrome cookies. The next build will include these alterations.