After Undelete 4 files - no files still

Questions on file recovery and disk unformat using the R-Undelete program.
wizardking

After Undelete 4 files - no files still

Post by wizardking » Fri May 14, 2021 7:58 am

I accidentally deleted 4 files from the directory, 100GB each. R-Undelete recovers them in an hour or two and there is still nothing at the destination. R-undelete with licence. New disk WD Gold 10TB, destination disk -corsair 2TB MP600

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: After Undelete 4 files - no files still

Post by Alt » Fri May 14, 2021 2:52 pm

What is the file system of the disk with deleted files?

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:24 am

Check the files in a Hex editor and see if they are all filled with zeros from beginning to end. I have a suspicion that WD may have added T.R.I.M. support to their new Gold drives as they did with some of their recent portable models.

If so, the drive won't even attempt to read the sectors containing the deleted data because those sectors were removed from the second layer translator and the HDD's controller just assumes they are blank.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:06 pm

Unfortunately, R-Undelete doesn't have a built-in Hex viewer.
Looks like almost all HDDs larger than 1 TB are based on the SNR technology and make use of the TRIM command.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Alt wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:06 pm
Unfortunately, R-Undelete doesn't have a built-in Hex viewer.
No, but a demo of R-Studio does. Or even a free version of Winhex would work.
Alt wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:06 pm
Looks like almost all HDDs larger than 1 TB are based on the SNR technology and make use of the TRIM command.
Were you able to find any WD documentation on support of T.R.I.M. in their Gold series drives? I wasn't finding anything the last time I checked. I know back in the spring of 2020 when people were upset to find Red drives that were SMR they started recommending to switch to Red Pro or Gold if you know you wanted a PMR disk.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:35 pm

Data-Medics wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:03 pm

Were you able to find any WD documentation on support of T.R.I.M. in their Gold series drives? I wasn't finding anything the last time I checked. I know back in the spring of 2020 when people were upset to find Red drives that were SMR they started recommending to switch to Red Pro or Gold if you know you wanted a PMR disk.
You may use R-Studio to determine whether the device supports TRIM: S.M.A.R.T. -> Features. IDE/SATA/USB.