Can't Shred Files

Questions on file recovery and disk unformat using the R-Undelete program.
Prgynt

Can't Shred Files

Post by Prgynt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 am

I used R-Photo to look for look for photos and videos as I recently backed up all our files and photos and supposedly wiped everything with bleachbit and CCleaner so I could sell the PC. After nearly 24hrs of cleaning and wiping with those programs R-Photo was able to find tons of recoverable files. I moved them to the shredder, but when I tell it to shred only about 10% of them actually get shredded. Anyone know why?

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can't Shred Files

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:07 am

1. You may try to use our R-Wipe & Clean to wipe (shred) files. One month of full functionality in its demo mode.
2. Back to your situation. Can you preview the "shredded" files? Or they just appear in the file lists in R-Photo? If they can be previewed, can it by an issue with access rights?

Prgynt

Post by Prgynt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm

Alt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:07 am
1. You may try to use our R-Wipe & Clean to wipe (shred) files. One month of full functionality in its demo mode.
2. Back to your situation. Can you preview the "shredded" files? Or they just appear in the file lists in R-Photo? If they can be previewed, can it by an issue with access rights?
Some of them I can preview, some of them I can't but it still shows the file names. They are all in the "deleted" section, not current photos. I don't think it is access rights because most of them are pictures I uploaded from my own camera, or pictures I saved. I just want everything I delete to be gone, with R-Wipe & Clean would I be able to find these files to specifically delete them? They are primarily in Extra Folders, with names like $$$Folder034873776. Would R-wipe be able to delete old emails as well?

I have run bleachbit and ccleaner and done wipes, so not sure why they are still there. My antivirus warned me that the latest update from bleachbit was trying to install ransomware on my computer while I was cleaning, so I uninstalled it and installed ccleaner.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:58 pm

Prgynt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm
[I just want everything I delete to be gone, with R-Wipe & Clean would I be able to find these files to specifically delete them? They are primarily in Extra Folders, with names like $$$Folder034873776. Would R-wipe be able to delete old emails as well?
I assume that the disk is an HDD rather than SSD. I think you need to wipe free space. Check that "free space and free MFT records" is selected on the Free Drive Space Wiping Settings tab is selected. Settings.

Prgynt

Post by Prgynt » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm

Alt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:58 pm
Prgynt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:30 pm
[I just want everything I delete to be gone, with R-Wipe & Clean would I be able to find these files to specifically delete them? They are primarily in Extra Folders, with names like $$$Folder034873776. Would R-wipe be able to delete old emails as well?
I assume that the disk is an HDD rather than SSD. I think you need to wipe free space. Check that "free space and free MFT records" is selected on the Free Drive Space Wiping Settings tab is selected. Settings.
It is an HDD. I have wiped free space many times, and have done 6 wipes in the last 24hrs with ccleaner. The files only show up when I do a Deep Scan, but there are over 14,000 picture files showing up as deleted after doing that scan (only 7 show up after a regular scan). Almost all are just remnants from deleted video games and the usual little icons, but I do see other picture files as well. It is not a huge deal, but some of the file names have names, birthdates, etc. All say below average chance of recovery, and most don't let me preview, but some do.

I tried just moving one or two over at a time to the shredder and running it, it acts like it is working for a few seconds then stops and the file is still there. No message about not being able to shred. Last night I moved 148 files of different types and origins (which took a while as I have to click each one separately) to the shredder and ran it, it only got rid of 20 of them.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:13 am

Prgynt wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:09 pm
It is an HDD. I have wiped free space many times, and have done 6 wipes in the last 24hrs with ccleaner.
Please wipe free space with R-Wipe & Clean with settings I provided in my previous post. It'll clean not only free space, it'll clean the remnants of those files in MFT. I assume that many of those files were "resident" and stored within the MFT. Not all computer cleaners can wipe "resident" files, R-Wipe & Clean can.