Find out Raid Parameters manually (Qnap Raid5)

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Peter

Re: Find out Raid Parameters manually (Qnap Raid5)

Post by Peter » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:31 am

if you assembled the raid as was shown on the screenshot, then it's wrong because you started from 0, when with MD raids you need to start from some offset.

from the last post it seems that the MD partition is this - /dev/sda3 133 243138 1951945693 83 Linux
which starts from sector 243138.
but then there's MD metadata, so there's no way to tell what is the raid offset based on what you posted.

also it seems that r-studio could not parse MD super block (it should appear automatically, but i don't see anything on the screenshot).

at this point i can only suggest to download ufs expolorer demo, and check MD raid parameters from it. then u can enter them into r-studio and do RAW scan again

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:34 am

I would recommend ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery for finding MD RAID parameters.

PBS67

Post by PBS67 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks Peter and Alt

I've taken this up with R-TT help and they had me run the Emergency program and try and enumerate files only on the EXT partition. The program scans fine but when I try to enumerate the files it always hangs the computer and I cannot stop it. I've even bought another 8GB of RAM taking it up to 16GB but it doesn't help. It looks from your comments though that I still haven't rebuilt the RAID correctly so I'm guessing you'd advise concentrating on this before wasting time re scanning?

I appreciate the help!

Peter

Post by Peter » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:30 pm

1. did you save the scan results before the enumeration attempt?
if not - it's a good thing to do, then you don't need to re-scan next time, just to load it.

2. check your memory settings in r-studio (tools-settings-memory usage), and switch it to automatic with 90% of physical memory.

3. if you have not assembled raid properly then all this is pointless - most of the data will be corrupted anyway.
so i'd still suggest to use another software to detect the raid parameters and then use that in r-studio

PBS67

Post by PBS67 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:39 pm

Ok Peter

I'll take a look at the memory settings and see if that gets me anywhere if not, I'll revisit the RAID parameters.

I appreciate your help - thanks!