Can I recover in this scenario?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
ctsandiego

Can I recover in this scenario?

Post by ctsandiego » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Hello,

I have an older Western Digital Sentinel unit. It is a glorified headless NAS with Windows Storage Server OS that you can only access via RDP.

One of the 4 drives in the unit essentially died last week, and the Sentinel is now completely inaccessible.

It is made up of: (4) 2GB SATA HDDs in a RAID 5 array.

I have purchased (2) HDD caddies and have all 4 HDDs hooked up to my Win10 desktop now.

The 3rd drive is making strange sounds, and is not recognized in multiple programs such as R-Tools.

Had most of the data backed up, but there is about 500 MB to 1 GB I would like to recover if possible.

As previously mentioned, recovery software is not "seeing" drive 3, but the others appear to be OK.

Question is: would r-Tools be able to recover anything in this scenario?

Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can I recover in this scenario?

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:17 pm

1. Disconnect the failed drive. No sense to torture it, it will do nothing. If that is the only failed drive in the RAID5, the rest of the drives are enough to recover data.
2. You may try the scenario for free. What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?.
3. Useful info:
RAID Recovery Presentation
Finding RAID parameters

Data-Medics

Re: Can I recover in this scenario?

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 am

If the RAID went down, assume you have two failed drives. It would keep working if there were three good drives still online in the RAID 5. Even if three of the drives seem fine, one of them must have been offline for the array to fail and not just be in a degraded state.

Possibly you had one with just some bad sectors or something and it was kicked offline at some point. I've seen many arrays where a drive had been offline for years and limped along in a degraded state unnoticed.

So don't be surprised if you end up ultimately needing that clicking drive recovered to get a good recovery. Sorry to tell you.