RAID 0 recovery help

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
cidion

RAID 0 recovery help

Post by cidion » Sun May 07, 2023 8:40 am

Hi

I've poked around the forums and help files but I'm not sure I know enough to know when I've found what I need.

I have a RAID 0 (hardware raid) where one of the disks won't mount. There seems to be no GUID partition, but with a scan it seems like the data is all there. I've tried a recovery, but of course the files are not working since it's a RAID 0

Is there a way for R-studio to recover that RAID 0 set?

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 0 recovery help

Post by Alt » Sun May 07, 2023 3:47 pm

Use this software ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery to find RAID parameters and then create a virtual RAID0 in R-Studio: Volume Sets, Stripe Sets, and Mirrors and load the RAID configuration. You can test R-Studio in its demo mode completely free.

cidion

Post by cidion » Sun May 07, 2023 4:15 pm

Oh whoops. I forgot to say I’m on Mac. Didn’t realize rstudio was cross platform.

Is there a Mac alternative to ReclaiMe?
Last edited by cidion on Mon May 08, 2023 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sun May 07, 2023 6:55 pm

I'm not sure what is with the silly reply above. If you only have one of two disks of a RAID 0 set, you are not going to get a good recovery of any file larger than the stripe size (probably something like 64kb). R-Studio may find the file system Metadata and show you file names and folder structure, but that does not mean the files are recoverable.

You'll need to address the bad disk, probably by sending it to a data recovery lab.

cidion

Post by cidion » Sun May 07, 2023 8:24 pm

Sorry about that. I didn't catch the typos. Max should have been MAC (Apple / Mac )

But your replies have helped anyway. I did assume everything was lost because it wouldn't boot, but got my hopes up when the software said it could recover 7TB or so.

Sounds like it's not something I can do from home, which is good info. Now I'm curious why it lost the partition.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Sun May 07, 2023 11:35 pm

Probably the partition table was on the failed disk. It exists in the first few sectors only so if you lose one of the two disks, there's a 50% chance it's lost.

There is usually a backup copy at the end of the block storage device, so a fair chance there is a copy of the partition table.

Nevertheless, finding the partition start will do little to no good as half the data of each file is lost to the failed disk.

You do know that RAID 0 is a stripe set, not a mirror right. So data is cut into tiny stips and written to two disks at once. So any disk failure results in total loss of all but some of the tiniest of files.

cidion

Post by cidion » Mon May 08, 2023 7:04 am

Yep, I do know it's not a mirror, and had always assumed the content was lost. It was in Raid-0 for speed not for redundancy.

But just had a sliver of hope when software was "finding" files, and thought maybe it was a fixable problem, but it sounds like it isn't.

We'll go ahead an initialize these drives and see is S.M.A.R.T. can tell us what the failed drive was doing wrong. it's only a couple years old so it's likely still under warranty.

Appreciate the help.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon May 08, 2023 12:13 pm

Actually, if there's a small data failure on the disk, like a corrupted GUID/MBR, there are still some chances for successful data recovery. But in your case a data recovery pro will be a good solution.