How to use ReclaiMe RAID Recovery data with R-Studio?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
ckryanco

How to use ReclaiMe RAID Recovery data with R-Studio?

Post by ckryanco » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:07 pm

Hello. New R-Studio user here.

The RAID 10 array on my computer (with an ASUS WS X299 PRO motherboard) was deleted during a BIOS update. The four drives appear intact, and I have not re-formatted them or such.

I found a post by the administrator on this forum from a few years back recommending ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery software to determine the RAID layout. It found the following information:
This is a plain-text general description of the reconstructed array layout.

The array type is RAID0 (also called Stripe Set).
The array consists of 2 disks.

The disks are ordered as follows:
#00: Disk 2 - ST2000DM006-2DM164, Serial number ZC3NR8, \\.\PhysicalDrive2
#01: Disk 4 - ST2000DM006-2DM164, Serial number ZC3N8M, \\.\PhysicalDrive4

Block size is 64.0 KB , same as 128 sectors.
The data starts at sector (LBA) 0 (this is often called "offset" or "start offset").

Block map is as follows:

1 2

Generated by ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery build 2228, www.FreeRaidRecovery.com
The software also provided handy instructions on how to use R-Studio with this data:
These instructions are provided for R-Studio version 5.1
1. Launch R-Studio

2. On the toolbar, click "Create Virtual RAID". Then, select "Create Virtual Block RAID" from the dropdown menu.

3. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 2 - ST2000DM006-2DM164 : ZC3NR8" from the pop-up menu.
4. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 4 - ST2000DM006-2DM164 : ZC3N8M" from the pop-up menu.

5. On the right side of the R-Studio window, set "RAID type" to "RAID0 (Stripe set)".
6. Below that, set "Block size" to "64 KB".
7. In the "Parents" table, enter "0 Sectors" as "Offset" in all rows.

8. Below the RAID diagram, click "Apply".
9. On the left panel, "Virtual Block RAID 1" is the newly created RAID. Double click it to start recovery.

Generated by ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery build 2228, www.FreeRaidRecovery.com
However, these instructions are for version 5.1 of R-Studio, not the current version 8.1. I see no way to implement step 7 of these instructions. I've tried adding all four disks to a Virtual RAID object in R-Studio (choosing the RAID 10 option), but after 24 hours R-Studio indicates it has only processed 60 MB of data (on four 2 Terabyte disks), so I suspect I'm doing something wrong there. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Also, does anyone have any guidance on re-creating the RAID array in the computer's BIOS administrator? I've seen some posts in the ASUS motherboard forums in which people say they just turn on RAID after doing a BIOS update and their old RAID array magically re-appears. But other posts say this is a very bad idea that can destroy data on the disks. I don't want to experiment with that until I'm certain I have a good copy of the RAID data.

Many thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: How to use ReclaiMe RAID Recovery data with R-Studio?

Post by Alt » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:20 pm

1. You may use 2 disks to create a RAID0. If the data on the disks from the original RAID10 isn't damaged that will be enough.
2. You may enter 0 in Version 8.1 the same way as it's described for Version 5.1.