Does sector size matter when using Raid auto detect?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Gordon329

Does sector size matter when using Raid auto detect?

Post by Gordon329 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:35 pm

I'm trying to recover a RAID array consisting of 6 x 15k 600gb SAS drives (model HP EH0600JDYTL). All drives are working perfectly, it was the server that died.

I created sector by sector clones of all 6 onto 1tb Toshiba and Samsung 2.5" drives using DDRescue in Linux.

I've since noticed that all the SATA drives I used have 4kb sector sizes, but from what I can tell the SAS drives have 512b sector size.

Will this be a problem for R-Studio's Raid auto detect? I have left it running for a long time and it has not picked up anything.

Thanks

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Does sector size matter when using Raid auto detect?

Post by Alt » Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:00 am

I don't think there'll be a problem.

Gordon329

Post by Gordon329 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am

I did it again using ddrescue to create image files rather than write the images to drives, but still can't get r-studio to find the raid configuration. The drives came from a HP sever and was using VMFS to store VMDK disk files. I don't think r-studio works with the VMFS file system, would this mean it would also have trouble picking up the raid config when this file system is used?

RForce

Post by RForce » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:44 pm

If you are working with VMFS, you'll need to be using another program that supports the file system. My recommendations are UFS Explorer and Reclaime Pro.