X RAID from ReadyNAS Ultra 4

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Rogfitz

X RAID from ReadyNAS Ultra 4

Post by Rogfitz » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:34 am

I have a NetGear ReadyNAS Ultra 4 with 4 disks running X RAID 2. Disk 1 and 2 are 3TB WD Red. Disk 3 and 4 are WD 4TB Red. Total disk volym 9TB.

Volume is OK but the disks are 7 years old so I bought 4 new Seagate Barracuda 6TB disks to exchange the WD disks.

I changed disk 1 to a Seagate Barracuda 6TB. Disk was checked and passed by ReadyNAS. It started to reproduce itself onto the new disk. I checked in at 30%. Then 6 hours later it had stopped and the NAS reported that Disk 4 was dead. The volyme was still there (accordning to the NAS) buy I couldn't reach it from my computer.

I then replaced Disk 1 and inserted the original WD. Nothing happened so finally I rebooted the ReadyNAS and it didn't find any volumes at all...

So, now I have connected all 4 original WD disks to a PC with Windows 10, via SATA - USB 3 interfaces, and installed R-Studio. All 4 disks show up. Disk 4 that was "dead" in the ReadyNAS is "Suspect" (yellow) but it is working at the moment.

I know the order of the disks and that they are a X RAID 2 RAID. But, I can't figure out the settings in R-Studio so I can read the disks. I have tried creating a Virtual Block RAID and inserting the disks in correct order. Do you have a Custom RAID type I can create to this environment? I have tried the Auto function for Offset and RAID Layouts but with no luck.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: X RAID from ReadyNAS Ultra 4

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:38 pm

What will happen if you connect the new disk instead of the old one?

Rogfitz

Post by Rogfitz » Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:27 am

I tried with and without Disk4 (which the ReadyNAS deemed dead) and with both the old Disk1 and the new Disk1 but the ReadyNAS always says "No volume". It finds the disks and displays them but there is no Volume.

If I connect all 4 disks to the PC, R-Studio finds them and displays them under "Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs".

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:09 pm

Rogfitz wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:27 am
I tried with and without Disk4 (which the ReadyNAS deemed dead) and with both the old Disk1 and the new Disk1 but the ReadyNAS always says "No volume". It finds the disks and displays them but there is no Volume.

If I connect all 4 disks to the PC, R-Studio finds them and displays them under "Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs".
Can I see a screenshot of the Devices (right) pane with the "Virtual Volume sets and RAIDs" expanded?