Lost software RAID 1 file system (ext4)

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Sea

Lost software RAID 1 file system (ext4)

Post by Sea » Sat May 09, 2020 8:07 pm

Hi,

I am desperately looking for a help to recover a partition and its file system (ext4). I have 2 identical HDDs (1 TB, each) mounted as RAID 1 (software).

Accidentally, I ran mdadm --create /dev/md2 --level=raid1 --raid-devices=2 /dev/sda2 /dev/sdb2 over an existing RAID 1 (Ext4 file system). After that I cannot mount /dev/md2 (even /dev/sda2 nor /dev/sdb2). It results in: "mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/md2, missing codepage or helper program, or other error".

I made a clone of /dev/sda2 to a third HDD and I tried dumpe2fs and fsck, but here are not valid superblocks (I tried all superblock found by dumpe2fs) and they did not able to repair the file system.

As I could not able to mount the partition I believe that the data are still there. Is there any way to revert what I have done, repair the file system, or recover files?

Thank you.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Lost software RAID 1 file system (ext4)

Post by Alt » Sun May 10, 2020 12:38 pm

You may use our free file recovery program R-Linux. This article Data Recovery from a Reformatted Ext2/3/4FS Disk may help you to perform recovery operations. It's about a reformatted disk and R-Studio, but the general course of actions and program appearance will be pretty much the same for your case.
R-Linux may find some remnants of various mdadm volumes, but don't pay much attention to that, work with the hard disk.

Sea

Re: Lost software RAID 1 file system (ext4)

Post by Sea » Mon May 11, 2020 7:47 pm

Alt wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 12:38 pm
You may use our free file recovery program R-Linux. This article Data Recovery from a Reformatted Ext2/3/4FS Disk may help you to perform recovery operations. It's about a reformatted disk and R-Studio, but the general course of actions and program appearance will be pretty much the same for your case.
R-Linux may find some remnants of various mdadm volumes, but don't pay much attention to that, work with the hard disk.
Alt,

I got all my data back with R-Linux. Not only files but all directory structure. Everything looks fine. The R-Linux is a terrific tool. I was a desperate man yesterday and today I am very happy one. I am so grateful to the R-Linux creators.

Thank you.

Sea.