[raid0] HFS filesystem: Am I doing things correctly?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
simkin

[raid0] HFS filesystem: Am I doing things correctly?

Post by simkin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:29 am

Dear community,

I received two drives coming from a WD external bay, which was connected to an iMac as extra storage. The iMac (I think) partitioned the striped volume as raid0 HFS. Both drives are still accessible, although slow, as they both have multiple bad sectors. I now try to see which files I can still recover but due to my lack of success I am starting to have some doubts if I am doing things right.

First thing I did is to build-in both disks in my Windows desktop and leave them untouched. I fired up r-studio and I see both drives, one with a volume, the other one without (no idea if this is to be expected?)
disks.png
My second step was to Create Virtual Block RAID & autodetect, to which I added both drives (I did not touch the configuration and trust r-studio knows what it is doing, is that ok?):
disk2.png
My 3rd step was to run a scan of the entire disk (I did not scan for partitions first, is that a mistake or not a problem?) for File System "HFS":
disk3.png
(resuming in next post due 3 attachments limit)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by simkin on Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:52 am, edited 8 times in total.

simkin

Re: [raid0] HFS filesystem: Am i doing things correct?

Post by simkin » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:30 am

After an unexpected long period of 5 days, the scan was completed and it looks to my untrained eye that it succeeded in finding the missing partition and its files?:
disk4.png
Now I started to recover all AUDIO files (filtered by extension, overwriting smaller versions, skip files with bad sectors) but those that got recovered all seem to be corrupt;, I hope this is not bad luck but a mistake on my side:
The output consisted of a bunch of directories:
disk5.png
All directories contained mostly empty sub-folders based on type:
disk6.png
And those that contained audio files, these were corrupt and I could not repair them.

Kindly asking for advise that might improve my success rate :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.