Can I recover in this scenario?

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
ctsandiego

Can I recover in this scenario?

Post by ctsandiego » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:26 pm

Hello,

I have an older Western Digital Sentinel unit. It is a glorified headless NAS with Windows Storage Server OS that you can only access via RDP.

One of the 4 drives in the unit essentially died last week, and the Sentinel is now completely inaccessible.

It is made up of: (4) 2GB SATA HDDs in a RAID 5 array.

I have purchased (2) HDD caddies and have all 4 HDDs hooked up to my Win10 desktop now.

The 3rd drive is making strange sounds, and is not recognized in multiple programs such as R-Tools.

Had most of the data backed up, but there is about 500 MB to 1 GB I would like to recover if possible.

As previously mentioned, recovery software is not "seeing" drive 3, but the others appear to be OK.

Question is: would r-Tools be able to recover anything in this scenario?

Thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Can I recover in this scenario?

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:17 pm

1. Disconnect the failed drive. No sense to torture it, it will do nothing. If that is the only failed drive in the RAID5, the rest of the drives are enough to recover data.
2. You may try the scenario for free. What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?.
3. Useful info:
RAID Recovery Presentation
Finding RAID parameters

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 am

If the RAID went down, assume you have two failed drives. It would keep working if there were three good drives still online in the RAID 5. Even if three of the drives seem fine, one of them must have been offline for the array to fail and not just be in a degraded state.

Possibly you had one with just some bad sectors or something and it was kicked offline at some point. I've seen many arrays where a drive had been offline for years and limped along in a degraded state unnoticed.

So don't be surprised if you end up ultimately needing that clicking drive recovered to get a good recovery. Sorry to tell you.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:14 pm

Any followup here? I have a failed Western Digitial Sentinel (WD DX4000) that I'd like to know drive order and settings to recover with...

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:04 pm

mikeg wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:14 pm
Any followup here? I have a failed Western Digitial Sentinel (WD DX4000) that I'd like to know drive order and settings to recover with...
Did you try this: Finding RAID Parameters?

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:15 pm

I did, and it was somethign around 48% confidence... but, it didn't match the values I found on some WD forums.
I am currently imaging all the disks and will try again - didnt want to keep beating up the single failed disk.

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:30 pm

Alt wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 2:04 pm
mikeg wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:14 pm
Did you try this: Finding RAID Parameters?
So I hooked up 3 drives and added them to a virtual block raid. Added "missing disk" and when I try to autodetect it - it says "failed to reconstruct RAIDs structures. Unsupported RAID type of invalid data"

So, the 4th drive only has a few bad blocks (the entire WD Sentinel DX4000 failed - hence why I can't do this in that unit) - added that in, added all 4 drives and it lets me autodetect. Depending on which order I add them - it will autodetect either 28% or 49%
Two are tied at 28% - w the diff being async and sync order - both of those will get a list of some files, but missing large chunks.
Tried the 49% confidence - showed folders but no files as expected.

I read somewhere on the WD forum that the order is 1,2,4,3. It is an Intel RST raid.

What approach would you recommend? trying these orders and doing partition or full scans?

mikeg

Post by mikeg » Tue Jul 19, 2022 11:29 pm

Update...
I ran the Reclaime Free Raid Recovery - tried RStudio but it
Reclaime came back with 1-4 as they were in original order in WD Sentinel DX4000. The key was Left Asynchronous which Rstudio couldn't figure out.

I ran the partition scan and it immediately picked everything up... then recovered a few GBs from Rstudio in jpg and other files I had a checksum for - all good. Now its recovering the 5.8TB I need from that array. Woot!

Code: Select all

These instructions are provided for R-Studio version 5.1
1. Launch R-Studio

2. On the toolbar, click "Create Virtual RAID". Then, select "Create Virtual Block RAID" from the dropdown menu.

3. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 0 - ST4000DM004-2CV104 : N1K9LG" from the pop-up menu.
4. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 2 - ST4000DM004-2CV104 : N1AV41" from the pop-up menu.
5. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 4 - HGST HDN726040ALE614 : GK879R" from the pop-up menu.
6. Right click the disk list on the right, select "Add Disk 3 - ST4000NM0033-9ZM170 : Z0E1LH" from the pop-up menu.

7. On the right side of the R-Studio window, set "RAID type" to "RAID5".
8. Below that, set "Block size" to "64 KB".
9. Below that, set "Block order" to "Left  Asynchronous".
10. In the "Parents" table, enter "0 Sectors" as "Offset" in all rows.

11. Below the RAID diagram, click "Apply".
12. On the left panel, "Virtual Block RAID 1" is the newly created RAID. Double click it to start recovery.

Generated by ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery build 4210, www.FreeRaidRecovery.com