Fusion Drive Rebuild

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
jm95

Fusion Drive Rebuild

Post by jm95 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:39 am

Hi All, come across r-studio due to the following scenario - during a big sur update on my mac - installation failed and wouldn't boot (when viewing the storage the fusion drive has disappeared and I'm left with an SSD & HDD.

I have used r-studio to take a byte for byte image of both drives - when i then mount the images - r-studio recognizes the apfs container (but its in pink) and is unviewable . when i view the properties (it has only correctly identified disk 1 as the hdd parition - in the disk 0 option i cant select the ssd image . i have also tried manually selecting the two partitions (one from ssd and one from hdd) within the raid build mode but for the life of me cannot see my files or any kind of partition.

has anyone had any success with restoring a fusion drive with r-studio before i part with the money

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Fusion Drive Rebuild

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:16 pm

Most likely this is due to the fact that this APFS container is encrypted. If you saved the key on your Apple icloud, you may enter the Recovery mode and manually decrypt the container.