Understanding the use of Virtual Raid

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Arjayel

Understanding the use of Virtual Raid

Post by Arjayel » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:20 pm

I have a Synology 1815+ that went down. It was configured as Raid5, SHR, with 8 x 4Tb WD Reds. All drives are good.

I have setup a Win10/PC with 8 sata inputs using a PCI card and powered the drives from a second source.

When I run R-studio all 8 drives are seen and properly identified.(along with the C drive and dvd on the PC).

I created a virtual raid and added the 8 drives. I am now running a scan (2 days 11 hours to complete).

What I want to do is see the directories again in R-Studio and copy the files off the NAS drives.

Am I doing the right thing?

I did this as the vrt-mdadm-Diskstation2 virtual volume listed when I started the system up showed only a 14Gb size whereas my virtual raid shows the proper 26Tb. I thought the -Diskstation2 volume was supposed to be my raid but its too small so i created the virtual raid. probably dont fully understand the -Diskstation2 identification.

Any help/comments much appreciated while i wait for the scan to end in 58 or so hours.

Data-Medics

Re: Understanding the use of Virtual Raid

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:28 pm

I created a virtual raid and added the 8 drives.
There's quite a bit more to RAID recovery than just adding the drives. You've also got to figure out drive order, stripe size, party rotation, etc. If one single thing is off, it won't work.

Do you see R-Studio auto-assembling an mdadm RAID down at the bottom of the window? Perhaps post a screenshot of what you are seeing so we have a clue what you are currently doing.