Create Virtual Block RAID & Autodetect

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
cramerhwood

Create Virtual Block RAID & Autodetect

Post by cramerhwood » Tue Nov 01, 2022 1:54 pm

I am attempting to find some backed-up data and have four drives that were in a cheap "dumb" RAID tower. By "dumb" I mean it doesn't have its own RAID controller, and Windows sets up the RAID configuration.

To begin, I'm not sure that it was ever properly setup as a RAID, all the disks read, but no file structure off the bat. I have made an R-Studio Image of each drive and loaded the images back into R-Studio and am attempting to use the "Create Virtual Block Raid and Autodetect", but it doesn't seem to be working properly. Any time I attempt to drag one of the virtual disks to it, the Virtual Raid block dialog disappears. I tried right-clicking the dialog on the right and adding them, but the problem persists. I tested other physical disks, and they add properly. I think I was finally able to get the virtual disks all into one Virtual Raid Block by right-clicking on each drive and adding them to Virtual RAID Block 1, but no "auto detect" or the tools pictured in the tutorials. If I look at the properties, it only gives me disk size and no other options like RAID type, block size, etc... I've looked at tutorials and videos, and I am only able to follow the steps if I use other physical disks on my computer which I don't need.

EDIT: I get none of this. Image

Any thoughts or direction would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am using R-Studio 8.5. It says if I update I have to buy a new license. Thank you.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Create Virtual Block RAID & Autodetect

Post by Alt » Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:10 am

As I understand, you have a Windows-created software RAID, don't you? If yes, you should have something like this one: Windows Dynamic Disks.

cramerhwood

Post by cramerhwood » Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:24 pm

I am thinking so, but not 100% sure. How do I get those options? I don't have any RAID type configuration options at all. I am using an older version of R-Studio 8.5.170237

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:55 pm

I'd recommend you to upgrade your copy of R-Studio to the latest build.
I'd like to see a screenshot of your R-Studio with loaded images but without any created virtual RAID. Only with images.

cramerhwood

Post by cramerhwood » Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:25 pm

It says I'm not eligible for an update. it warns me that if I continue with the update, it will no longer be licensed.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Nov 04, 2022 11:54 am

cramerhwood wrote:
Thu Nov 03, 2022 3:25 pm
It says I'm not eligible for an update. it warns me that if I continue with the update, it will no longer be licensed.
You need to purchase extended support to upgrade. I'd like to see the Main panel with loaded images to proceed further.

cramerhwood

Post by cramerhwood » Fri Nov 04, 2022 6:37 pm

I would like to see this too. I can load physical drives, but the images I made don't seem to load properly. If I try to drag them or add them from the autodetect raid block interface, the whole interface disappears. If I test it with other drives, including jump drives, they add just fine.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:23 pm

I'd like to see the panel after you load the images just into R-Studio, not to try to create any virtual RAID. Just loaded images.

cramerhwood

Post by cramerhwood » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:29 pm

Thank you for the help. Here is a screen capture of me showing how the process works with any drive other than the imaged drives. You can see that the interface just disappears and is no longer accessible.

https://youtu.be/c-e6dWocEiM

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:37 pm

What is Virtual Block RAID1?