More RAID 0 Recovery Help

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
miragetm

More RAID 0 Recovery Help

Post by miragetm » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:44 pm

I have a 2 physical 6gb toshiba drives that were configured using disk management as a Raid 0 array. They worked fine for a long time.

I then foolishly attempted to make another partition the raid for some reason I can't remember (it was a year ago- I initially ignored it as was too busy with deadlines - only recently was I asked to search for a bunch of old archived family photos and videos that were on the raid), and somehow the partition map got messed up and now windows 11 won't see any files in the lettered drive.

It still shows the lettered drive (V:) as attached, and healthy, and it's full 11GB capacity, but no files.

So I used R-Studio and scanned the drives, and ran recover files. There are a lot of photos and such on them that are special to us. Anyway, R-Studio did it's thing and after more than 24 hours it finished, and there were a bunch of recovered files. A lot of other files were not recoverable, but as long as we could get some, great I thought!

But when I searched the recovered files for photo files, I noticed that all the recovered photos were distorted. They would be false colors, or only partial photos, or otherwise glitched. Assuming that it only recovered portions of the striped files from one of the physical drives resulting in the glitches.

I'm wondering - is there a way to have r-studio recover the files from both of the physical disks together to restructure the files integrity?

Or failing that is there a way R-Studio or another program can put the partition map back to it's previous version so that windows can see all the files again?

I did poke around the forum first and saw a similar post asking about RAID 0 recovery and suggesting that the user start by getting a program called ReclaMe Free RAID Recovery. So I did that, but for some reason it can only see 1 of the 2 attached physical raid drives. Even though disk management seems to see both of them, as far as I can tell with my limited knowledge.

Do let me know, thank you. Attaching screenshots of ReClaimME and also Disk Management, Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

miragetm

Re: More RAID 0 Recovery Help

Post by miragetm » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:49 pm

Oh and here's another screenshot of R-Studio and what it sees. Thank you all who take the time to help me here!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 18, 2023 1:41 pm

My understanding is that you have two storage devices. One is the system disk. The other is a storage pool. R-Studio finds one disk from the pool. Where's the other one? Where's the RAID0?

miragetm

Post by miragetm » Tue Jul 18, 2023 4:03 pm

Thank you - yes I realized part of my mistake after posting the original question.

One of the 2 RAID drives as disconnected. I fixed that issue.

I'm still a bit at a loss as to how to proceed. In the log when I create the virtual raid in R-Studio it says GPT tables error 0x224, which I believe
means I'm going to have the same problems I had before recovering files.

When I try running ReclaimMe to repair the RAID using the 2 disks I get an error. Again, screenshot attached. It says the drives must be JBOD? But I don't think that's correct, and not sure how to reconstruct a JBOD if it is correct?

New screenshots attached.

Any advice anyone can offer out there would be greatly appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:43 pm

That really looks like a JBOD. You have two 5GB parents and a resulting volume of 10 GB. It can only be in a JBOD configuration. Try to open (not scan) Deleted Part1 on the Msft Virtual Disk 1.0 and see what it contains. You don't have to recover files to estimate the correctness of the configuration. Just double-click a picture file and see what the built-in previewer shows.

miragetm

Post by miragetm » Wed Jul 19, 2023 11:10 am

Thanks for the advice. When I do that I get the following error message. So I'm going to try and scan that part. If you have other ideas let me know!
screenshot attached

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:20 pm

I've an apology rather than idea. Of course, a 10 TB RAID0 can be made out of two 5 TB disks.