promise 4 Bay Nas 4 volumes each raid 0

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Irishdue

promise 4 Bay Nas 4 volumes each raid 0

Post by Irishdue » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:50 am

Hi All ,

Any help much appreciated

Have a promise n34300 4 bay Nas box
2 X1 TB
2 X 1.5 TB

The device was setup with each drive as a separate volume each volume running raid 0 (wanted to maximize storage capacity actually may have saved my bacon)

Was having network issues when plugged nas box into router network canned out (separate issue)

I thought would reset the network setting on the box by factory reset (does not kill the data just resets the General setting)

So when switched the machine on had to reconfigure the raid , i made the mistake of choosing 4 drives one volume raid 0 , the drives spun like crazy , after 4 seconds i pulled the power for fear of destroying all the data.

I have been trying to query one of the drives thru R -studio and see in this order below

Empty space9 (start space 512 bytes) (size 931.51 Gigs) Not sure what this is
recognised2 in green EXT 3 (start space 512.19 Mb) (size 931.51 Gigs) Have also scanned this result
recognised3 in green EXT2 (start space 517.72 Mb) (size 931.51 Gigs)
Extra found files In green
recognised1 in red

I t says in the manual that if a raid is detected it Rstudio will pick it up , will this be the case even though it is raid zero on a single drive?

I can see lot of found files with the naming convention gone (need to initiate real view)

Where it says start space is that the offset .

Any help on how to scan a raided o single volume on a single drive would be much appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: promise 4 Bay Nas 4 volumes each raid 0

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 am

How did you manage to create a RAID0 (a stripe set) on a single drive?!

And I need a screenshot of the Drives pane to understand the situation.

Irishdue

Post by Irishdue » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:50 am

Hi there thanks for the fast response

The drives were originally set up on the Promise NS 4300 Nas box.

The was i did it on set up was plug each drive into the Nas box individually and configure each drive as a single volume (with a default raid 0)

All i wanted was capacity and not redundancy and 4 X drives set up as 4 X volumes was most capacity efficent.

But when i did the factory reset i then selected (in error ) 4 drives as one volume.

Now im plugging the drives one by one into a win 7 desktop to recover .

And trying to recover what would you recocmend from a virtual raid perspective "create virtual volume set" or "create virtual Block" and scan from there ?

Not very sure how to post pix can email screen grabs to you?

Thanks again in advance

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:53 am

Send the pics to raptorbck (at) gmail (dot) com

toy

Post by toy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:14 pm

Hi,

I have the same issue, where I have 2 Bay drives promise NS2300n Model. Both drives were set to RAID 0. I updated the firmware on the box and it was acting weirdly. I set it to factory default settings reset buttons and both drives were formatted. I know the data was in each drive were not strip, because one drive was showing volume 1 and the other drive was showing volume 2. If I disconnect disk 2 from the Bay then only volume 1 will show with all the data. At this moment they both are showing unformatted. I downloaded your demo and scanned the drive with my local Window XP x64 PC. It showing hundreds of green, orange and red file system format. When I click on one of the drive it doesn't look anything like data. Am I doing anything wrong? Am I missing any steps? What is this Virtual RAID? Do I need to create Virtual RAID and scan it? Please Help.

Thank you.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:02 am

Irishdue wrote:Hi there thanks for the fast response

The drives were originally set up on the Promise NS 4300 Nas box.?
To my understanding, you should treat your drives as single ones, you don't have to create any virtual RAID. Just try to scan them separately and recover the files from the scan.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:04 am

Well, the question to both toy and Irishdue: what was the block size of your RAID0?

irishdue

Post by irishdue » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:26 am

Hi there from what i can see its either a 64 K or 4 K block size cant confirm what is a good method to discover the block size

Andy

irishdue

Post by irishdue » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:36 am

Just thinking what if i was to courier one of the drives for you to analyse and see what you think the proper setupp should be .

And when the you decide what the best setup process should be i can replicate the process on the rest of the drives

I will cover all courier costs to and from and potential time costs and buy the full software ?

The ultimate prize for me would be for me to rebuild the old file structure as was ?

thanks

Andy

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:10 am

What's your country?
Can you connect one computer directly to Internet with a public IP address?