Mac Pro RAID Card parameters

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
neustadt

Re: Mac Pro RAID Card parameters

Post by neustadt » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:52 am

As far as the RAID GUI Utility goes you can't set specific RAID parameters. With the cmdline tool I am pretty sure its the same, but wouldn't be able to state that as a fact.

stumped

Post by stumped » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:40 pm

Does anyone have any ideas of the parameters? I have been trying the ones listed in the raid walkthrough. I have a black (gen 2) card. 4 disk array, single volume where two members went roaming.

"Advanced RAID 5
Another example is a RAID with the following layout, similar to that used in Mac Pro internal RAID cards with 4 hard drives.
●Four disks,
●Block size: 512 KB (1024 sectors)
●Offset: 32768 sectors (64 KB)
●Block order:
A
B
C
D
A
B
C
D
A
B
C
D
PD
PD
PD
PD
8"

With terrible luck... I have spent the last many days trying all combinations of things.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 am

stumped wrote:Does anyone have any ideas of the parameters? I have been trying the ones listed in the raid walkthrough. I have a black (gen 2) card. 4 disk array, single volume where two members went roaming.

With terrible luck... I have spent the last many days trying all combinations of things.
Can you post a screenshot of R-Studio's main panel with the healthy disks / their images?

isaias

Post by isaias » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:57 pm

Alt wrote:I didn't work much with Apple systems, so this my question: does these RAID controller allow you to specify your own RAID parameters? If yes, you may browse through them without actual change. Usually, those parameters start from their default values.

Hi,

In my study the parameters for Raid Mac Pro is:
Start sector: 0
Block: 1024 Sectors or 512kb

When you build the Array in R-Studio you need build with CUSTOM options.
The Raid is Crazy:
P 2 1 P
3 P 4 5
6 7 P 8
Is unbelievable, but the first line have 2 paritys and other 2 lines have 1 parity each.

Isaias@digitalrecovery.com.br

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:09 am

isaias wrote: In my study the parameters for Raid Mac Pro is:
Start sector: 0
Block: 1024 Sectors or 512kb
The offset may vary quite unpredictably.
isaias wrote: When you build the Array in R-Studio you need build with CUSTOM options.
The Raid is Crazy:
P 2 1 P
3 P 4 5
6 7 P 8
Is unbelievable, but the first line have 2 paritys and other 2 lines have 1 parity each.
The latest R-Studio help explains how you can create such a bizarre structure: Advanced RAID 5.

vasia_perets

Post by vasia_perets » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:39 am

Hi all. Sorry my poor English.

I'm trying to restore RAID-5 with 3 hard drivers from Mac Pro internal RAID card (Apple Mac Pro RAID Card MB845Z/A B&H).

I tried to use the layouts from this topic and from R-Studio help, get directory structure, but recognised files all broken.

There is an example In "R-Studio Technical Documentation" in "Advanced RAID 5" section for layout with 4 hard drives.

Maybe someone knows this magical digits (Block size, Offset, Block order) for 3 hard drivers from Mac Pro RAID card?

Thank You in advance.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Try to use Finding RAID parameters, that should work with Mac RAIDs.

vasia_perets

Post by vasia_perets » Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:41 pm

Thank U for assistance.
I torture this RAID for a week, and tried all the options from R-studio help and this forum.
Auto-detection found nothing, however I did not pass it fully to the end of RAID.
May be full scan will help.
I will try to leave it for the night.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Then, the question. What happened with the Mac RAID?
And, there's our Russian forum, you may switch to it, we browse it every day, regardless there's no much activity in it.

raidreconstructor

Post by raidreconstructor » Sat Dec 18, 2021 4:55 pm

FROM R-STUIDOs help
Advanced RAID 5
Another example is a RAID with the following layout, similar to that used in Mac Pro internal RAID cards with 4 hard drives.
•Four disks,
•Block size: 512 KB (1024 sectors)
•Offset: 32768 sectors (64 KB)
•Block order:
A B C D A B C D A B C D
PD 1 2 PD 3 4 PD 5 6 PD 7 8

I have gotten this to work, you have use the RAID sequence window, get your drives in the right order, and follow the directions here.
https://www.r-studio.com/Unformat_Help/ ... d_lay.html