Building a CMU RAIDFRAME driveset in R-TT

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
cynjut

Building a CMU RAIDFRAME driveset in R-TT

Post by cynjut » Tue May 05, 2009 10:49 pm

OK - I've been puttering around with the program ever since I bought it. If I image copy the file system onto a 1 Terabyte drive, I can do all kinds of things with it. The problem is that it takes about 20 hours to copy the entire RAID array onto an image drive.

I'd like to be able to use your software the way it's supposed to be used. At this point, I can't figure out how to make a RAIDFRAME array come together in your software. I'll try whatever you want to suggest....

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Building a CMU RAIDFRAME driveset in R-TT

Post by Alt » Wed May 06, 2009 4:28 am

Yes, you can do with the image everything you can do with the original object. I recommend you to try. Just set R-Studio copy the RAID to the image file during a night.

cynjut

Post by cynjut » Wed May 06, 2009 7:04 am

I think you missed my point - I did that. It worked fine. I was able to recover about 30% of the files on the drive that way. There are another 30% in "$Inodexxxxxx" files, and the other 40% are not there at all.

The problem is that, if this ever happens again or for other people that don't have a (for example) 16 Terabyte spare drive laying around, can you help me configure R-TT to configure and interpret the original drive set?

RAIDFRAME is a software RAID5 configuration - when you set up the drives, there are a couple of ways to approach it. The first is to simply stripe the drives together, which would make sense if the R-TT software were correctly interpretting the Parity Blocks on the drive. The "RAID5" approach seems to work as badly as striping, since I can't figure out a way to specify where the parity blocks are in the sector set. Since you guys aren't using (or actively ignoring) the parity anyway, it would seem like a relatively simple thing to be able to specify in a RAID0 set how many sectors there are in a stripe and where the parity is.

LIke I said, I'd be glad to work with you guys on this. Being able to access the original damaged RAID array and then make reasonable changes to the mirror (in my case) might make it so that I can retrieve more of these files.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri May 08, 2009 4:32 am

I think I'm indeed missing your point completely. You may use either the images of the drives or the drives themselves to create a virtual stripe set or RAID5. You may specify parity blocks as you wish and I never heard that R-Studio ignores those parity blocks.
You may get more information on creating complex RAID layouts: http://www.unformat-unerase.com/Unforma ... index.html -> Volume Sets and RAIDs -> Working with Advanced RAID Layouts
If you believe that you did everything correctly, but didn't get expected results, please describe it in more details, better with screen shots to figure out what went wrong.

cynjut

Post by cynjut » Fri May 08, 2009 1:24 pm

Rather than waste a lot of other people's time, I submitted a Tech Support request. I'm pretty sure the problem is that I'm using a 63 sector stripe size, and the software doesn't support anything but powers of 2K for the raid stripe size. I played around with a couple of different stripe set configurations, and I always end up with data from the database where the second logical drive should start, which tells me that there is a problem that can't be resolved simply.

As soon as I find out what the correct settings are, or a new patch comes out, I'll post a note here explaining either how R-Studio Corporate needs to be configured to work, or that the problem is resolved with a new version.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sat May 09, 2009 4:51 am

cynjut wrote:Rather than waste a lot of other people's time, I submitted a Tech Support request.
We received it and will work on it.