Recovering linux Raid5

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Gigabitz

Recovering linux Raid5

Post by Gigabitz » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:04 pm

Hi Guys,

I lost 1 of 4 drives in my raid 5 set... then I suffered a powerfailure. I can longer access my data on these drives.

When I scan for these in rstudio, all I get is recognized files... no partitions /file folder structures are present.

I'm still under the impression the data exists as , some of the know files are photos and they load up fine.

Any tips on how I can recover this data // view the folder structure would be appreciated

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recovering linux Raid5

Post by Alt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:19 am

What was the file system on that RAID 5? Ext FS?

Camels

Post by Camels » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 am

Yes it was ext2 or ext3.. I have gotten little further now... Im now able to see some of the folder structure but I still have 30% of scanning to go..

I initially had to scan the disks, then a volume was displayed underneath them.. then I added the volumes into a raid set in what I believe to be the correct order and now some of the folders are showing...

It is a very long process, but so far appears to be good and I really have no other choice.. i'll be happy if I can get some of the data... Some of the files appear to have a red mark on them.. I guess that means they are damaged or perhaps the not enough scan info is available for rstudio to know whether it is a full file..

Is there a better way of doing this? and why would it be that I cant see the entire folder structure?? although im still waiting for the scan to finish, I have scanned 1.5TB out of 2.5TB and the foldres it is showing never added upto 500GB..

Sorry to burden you with a million questions.. im still trying to figure it all out.. :) Thanks for answering

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:40 am

Camels wrote:I initially had to scan the disks, then a volume was displayed underneath them.. then I added the volumes into a raid set in what I believe to be the correct order and now some of the folders are showing...
Yes, R-Studio detected a valid partition on the virtual RAID. Did you double-click on it to see what files R-Studio had detected?
Camels wrote: It is a very long process, but so far appears to be good and I really have no other choice.. i'll be happy if I can get some of the data... Some of the files appear to have a red mark on them.. I guess that means they are damaged or perhaps the not enough scan info is available for rstudio to know whether it is a full file..
A red cross on a file icon means that the file had been deleted, but R-Studio managed to detect it. I recommend you to look at R-Studio help. You can do that online: R-Studio help.

Camels

Post by Camels » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:55 pm

OK Cool.. Thanks Alt..

Thanks for pointing me to the help files, I know understand a little more :)

Yes I opened partition and some of my files and folder structure are there... If I try to recover anything I get an error..

Position of file fragment (16140511215616) is outside filesystem size (3000606523392) while recovering *filename* Try to recover this file using all recognized partitions.

It also says "Can't regenerate RAID5 parity".. Does this mean the disk order is wrong?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:59 am

Camels wrote: It also says "Can't regenerate RAID5 parity".. Does this mean the disk order is wrong?
Yes, something is wrong in RAID parameters.