NAS Recovery (NTFS 4 Disk Raid 5)

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
krumpt

NAS Recovery (NTFS 4 Disk Raid 5)

Post by krumpt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:26 pm

Hello,

I have 4 73GB drives, that where configured in a Win2k Iomaga NAS array. They were on a Promise controller and the device died. We have to recover some data from these drives and am hoping this software can help. Unfortunately the controller, and the unit, has proprietary chasis, so I have had to use a IDE <--> USB Adapter to image image each drive from R-Studio on OSX. The partitions are NTFS, and there is a data partition as well as a system / os partition that spanned all the drives as well. We are only concerned with recovery of the data partition. I have started to image the drives, one by one, only a larger drive on my OSX machine, in hopes of recreating the RAID set virtually, is this the correct approach?

Here is a screenshot of rStudio, hopfully this fills in any gaps in my description

Thanks

krumpt

Re: NAS Recovery (NTFS 4 Disk Raid 5)

Post by krumpt » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Another picture showing a little more

Thanks!

John

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: NAS Recovery (NTFS 4 Disk Raid 5)

Post by Alt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:33 am

Seems you're doing the right thing. Remember, you need to keep the same disk order, block size, etc., the same as of the original RAID when creating a virtual RAID in R-Studio.