RaidZ Reconstruction

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Thomas Lenti

RaidZ Reconstruction

Post by Thomas Lenti » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:51 am

HI!
I have lost my RAIDZ1 with 4 Disks (DATA1 - DATA2 - DATA 3 - PD). I was build With Freenas 7.0 but for try Freenas 8.0 i was deleted array without format disks!!! The Array was unreadable but my data are still on the disk.

How can use Rstudio to recovery my data??? Can you explain a guide to identify disk order???

Thanks a lot!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RaidZ Reconstruction

Post by Alt » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:09 am

Which file system did you use for the RAID?

Thomas Lenti

Post by Thomas Lenti » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:41 am

I use GPT partition, RAIDZ uses ZFS filesystem... then with CIFS (SAMBA) i shares the drive with my windows.

IMPORTANT:
I have tryed using In R-Studio to creating a VIRTUAL BLOCK RAID using my lost 4 disks.
Add disk to Block Raid, random order, i have selected RAID5 and different type BLOCK oreder (Left syncronous, ecc..)

In many times R-Studio can't recovery directory structure, but find many kind of file... and a little bit of these file, (if i can see it) i can see a part of my photo (half photo) or i can hear 3-4sec of my mp3. In some case mp3 music are cropped and mixed.

This means that R-Studio can recovery my data... but, the disk data it's not correct. I think, for a perfect directory structure and file recovery i must identify the right order disk and the right BLOCK ORDER.

I can't make all combination because with 4 disk I have 24 combination, and 4 combination each one for block order...

Help how to identify Disk order and block order??? I think that FREENAS and ZFS using a know block order... but i can't find this information someone can Help me to recovery my data?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:31 pm

R-Studio doesn't support ZFS, unfortunately. Although, you can scan for known file types which, which you actually did.
I don't know where to find instructions on how to determine disk order for the ZFS file system. Sorry.

Thomas Lenti

Post by Thomas Lenti » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:52 am

HI!
Ok, it's unable to recovery... but i can make all 24 (4*3*2*1) combination. I think FreeNAS uses a block order known... Do you know this block order???

does anyone know what Block Order to use FreeNAS with 4 disk?
Left Synchronous
OR
Left Asyncronous
OR
Right Synchronous
OR
Right Asyncronous ????

Someone can help me to find this information???
if i know this information i can try 24 disk order....

Thank's to anyone can help ME!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:16 am

I think, the best way is to contact RaidZ developers.