Raid5 help

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Tri-Analysis

Raid5 help

Post by Tri-Analysis » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:04 pm

I have imaged 4 hard drives from a Snap Server 4200 that was running as a Raid5 - Guardian OS.

I do not know any other information about the structure. I am attempting to recover information from the server and I'm using R-Studio.

Questions:

1. I've had some luck recovering some files from the block size 128kb. I've opened these files and found them to be working. Is is safe to "assume" (hate this word) that I've chosen the structure and/or block size correctly? Is there a way to determine what the original structure was by viewing any of the hard drives?
2. I'm also unable to see the original file tree, but since the server was not in a working condition when I received it, I'm guessing I won't.

Newbie here, so any input would be appreciated!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Raid5 help

Post by Alt » Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:28 pm

Most likely your device runs under Linux and uses the xfs file system. Currently, R-Studio does not support the xfs file system, that is why you do not see he original file tree. Although you can find some files by scanning for the Known File Types (see R-Studio Help -> Data Recovery Using R-Studio -> Advanced Data Recovery -> Disk Scan -> Known File Types).
You need to construct the original array correctly. You may check it by previewing some files. Please keep in mind that you need to test files greater than 384 kb for your case.

Tri-Analysis

Re: Raid5 help

Post by Tri-Analysis » Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:28 pm

Thank you!!!