NAS Data Recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
EdG

NAS Data Recovery

Post by EdG » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:29 am

I have a DLink 323 NAS with two 1TB drives in a RAID1 configuration, with the drives formatted as NTFS. The DLink is running a Linux kernal.

I deleted some files from the NAS, and am trying to see if R-Studio will let me recover them. I downloaded R-Studio NTFS Network edition and installed it in demo mode. Initially, I couldn't "see" my NAS drive, and after re-checking the R-TT website realized I needed to install R-Studio Agent. I installed it on my computer, which then showed me my NAS drive. However, trying to connect to the NAS failed...and R-Studio Agent's attempt to remotely installed on the NAS also failed. I'm assuming this is because the NAS is running Linux?

Is there any way I can run R-Studio to access my NAS? Or will I have to disassemble the NAS to take out the SATA drives and connect them directly to my computer, and then undelete the raw EXT files?

TIA
Ed

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: NAS Data Recovery

Post by Alt » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:48 am

Well, are you sure your formatted the disk as NTFS? I don't know any Linux-based NAS device which support NTFS.
Then you're right, you can't run any R-Studio product on a Linux system, see this for more details: http://www.r-tt.com//File_Recovery_FAQ.shtml#q50 .

Data lost tryin to find

Re: NAS Data Recovery

Post by Data lost tryin to find » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:14 am

My understanding is it runs EXT3 and mounts it as a NTFS partition i have the same problem with a Promise 4 Bay box i have taken the drives out and attached directly to the pc and trying to scan that way try that