Rebuilding Raid with GPT Disk order known

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
bubbahotep

Rebuilding Raid with GPT Disk order known

Post by bubbahotep » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi,

I am kind of lost. I had an adaptec 3805 raid 5 with 4 disks. I accidentally deleted the good array, so all disks are operational. I know the disk order, at least i know which cable / channel went to which disk.
Boot disk was separate plain sata, so no boot from array.

I am trying to rebuild a GPT partition and tried to follow the ntfs tutorial but got lost.

my stripe size was 512 (thats what it said in teh adaptec boot config tool), does that mean block size = 512 as well ? (I ask because some other partiton tool reports stripe 512 when block size 1024 is entered)
I cannot find $.M.F.T on any of the disks. I find the EB 52 90 4E 54 46 53 20 20 20 20 and 33 C0 8E D0 BC though.

how do i know whether my adaptec raid is left sync/async or right sync/async ?

Is there a difference between entring the offset or will a full scan reveal the same info, it just takes longer ?

What would I be looking for on a GPT partition ?

cheers
bubba

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Rebuilding Raid with GPT Disk order known

Post by Alt » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:02 am

Well, it's a little bit hard to give advices without seeing the actual data on the disks, but we try.
First, as it seems that you don't delete any data on the disks, as soon as you select a correct (or close to correct) RAID layout, R-Studio will find a partition on it. Check that Apply changes immediately is selected on the Parents tab. If the partition is found but you can't preview files, try to change block order (sync/async).
RAID controllers quite often select the disk connected to the first channel as disk one in the RAID, the disk connected to the second channel as disk two, etc.
Block and stripe sizes are the same thing.
You'll have to try all possible sync/async orders.