RAID 5 Reconstruction on Ext3

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
netdiversity

RAID 5 Reconstruction on Ext3

Post by netdiversity » Tue May 08, 2012 10:21 am

Hi,
I have read the Raid 5 reconstruction example using NTFS but I can't find any examples for Ext3. Does R-Studio support Ext3?
Also is it better to create a disk image to work from or using the actual disks. I have a problem where the 1 disks is damaged from my 4 disk array. Should I just create the image from the damage disk?
If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. What if r-studio can't rebuild my array?

thx,
Wes.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID 5 Reconstruction on Ext3

Post by Alt » Wed May 09, 2012 2:57 am

1. R-Studio does support ext2/3/4 file systems, for RAIDs, too, although we don't have an example of finding RAID parameters for ext file systems yet.
2. It's safer to work with disk images rather than with actual disks, although that requires additional time to create those images. Data recovery pros work with disk images only.
3. If your RAID is RAID5, one bad disk is no problem, provided that the data on the other disks is intact. Moreover, you even don't have to include the disk/its image into the RAID setup. Just add a "missing disk" object in place of the bad disk. Here our online help for R-Studio: Basic RAID 4 and RAID 5 Operations.
5. You may test R-Studio for free in its Demo mode. In this mode you'll be able to create a virtual RAID, scan it, if necessary, preview files, etc. The only thing you won't be able to do is to save recovered files larger than 64 kB. If you decide that R-Studio will help you, you may register it on the fly even without restarting the program.