Netgear X-RAID2 Recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
magicm

Re: Netgear X-RAID2 Recovery

Post by magicm » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:13 pm

It looks like I'm going to be able to recovery the data. R-Studio didn't automatically detect a partition/file system when I put in the parameters from ReclaiMe (probably because of the type of recovery I'm dealing with), however scanning the virtual RAID did find the partition/file system. As soon as R-Studio completes the scan (a week or so), I can recover the data. :D

magicm

Post by magicm » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:41 pm

All data has been recovered! ReclaiMe was used to identify the RAID parameters and R-Studio did the heavy lifting data recovery.

moonsplash

Post by moonsplash » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 pm

Hi magicm!

I'm in a similar situation that you where in and I'm desperately trying to identify the RAID parameters for my ReadyNAS X-RAID2 disks. I have tried ReclaiMe but it don't get any parameters. I guess this is because there is too little data left on my NAS (nearly all data was deleted) and this is apparently a known limitation of ReclaiMe.

Could you share what RAID parameters you got from ReclaiMe?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind Regards,
Alexander

Matt

Post by Matt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:58 pm

What did you select in Reclaim me when scanning, RAID6, or RAID5. I'm working with a readyNas 1500, trying to recover data with R Studio, but I don't see a setting for Left Symetric, r studio finds data, but all I get are hundreds of small chunks of data, pretty much useless. I need the folder structure intact. I would really like to know the exact settings the guys above used to recover the data?????? Fsd093Kjuqbw

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:38 am

To my understanding, readyNas 1500 settings don't suggest they support RAID6, only RAID5.

Lestrad

Post by Lestrad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:27 am

I have a similar problem with a ReadyNAS NV+. Did you recover the data by copying it over to another medium or did you restore the readability of the existing disks?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:37 am

Lestrad wrote:I have a similar problem with a ReadyNAS NV+. Did you recover the data by copying it over to another medium or did you restore the readability of the existing disks?
R-Studio recovers files only by copying them to another place.

Lestrad

Post by Lestrad » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks for your answer. I'm 'way out of my depth with this, so please bear with me. My situation seems to be identical with frankDMI's (http://forum.r-tt.com/readynas-x-raid-f ... t8270.html) - ReadyNAS NV+, two disks producing I/O errors.
I've cloned the two disks that had bad sectors, which are Disks 3 and 4. Disk 3 showed almost no errors when I ran dd_rescue. Disk 4 showed a lot of errors but I was able to cover the entire disk by running dd_rescue in both directions. But the problem is that Disk 1 is now showing up as containing 0 volumes.
Can I run R-Studio and/or ReclaiMe from Windows 7 on the NAS with the newly cloned drives in it via the network? Can I do it while running a Live CD version of Linux? Or do I need to attach all 4 disks to a Linux box? Any documentation you could point me to would be greatly appreciated.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:17 pm

ReclaiMe works only on Windows. You can use either disk images or hard drives directly attached to a computer if you want to use both ReclaiMe and R-Studio.

Lestrad

ATA

Post by Lestrad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:05 pm

Thanks very much for answering.
"ReclaiMe works only on Windows. You can use either disk images or hard drives directly attached to a computer if you want to use both ReclaiMe and R-Studio."
I'm willing to try either or both. Does one have a particular advantage over the other? I'll probably attach the 4 hard drives via the SATA connectors and use a disk connected via USB to copy the data to.