Readynas X-Raid failure

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
gdp

Re: Readynas X-Raid failure

Post by gdp » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:01 am

Hi,

many thanks for your post.
Just one question: could you please specify how have you restored the "Volume Table" on disk 2 ("Drive 2 is ok but shows no volumes") in step 9?

Thanks

Giorgio

boV

Post by boV » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 am

I have exactly the same problem, do you still have the manual for the linux recovery?
the link you posted FrankDMI

you would be a life saver if you could help me out

boV

Post by boV » Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:21 am

Netgear advices me to do a software reinstall of the netgear 2100... seems to me it will reduce my recovery options.
any ideas anyone?

Lestrad

Post by Lestrad » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:28 am

Hello. I am facing more or less the identical situation you faced. ReadyNAS NV+, 4 1Tb drives. The disk that was producing errors was not identified except by "??". I was told by Level 2 support at Netgear to put the NAS into Tech Support mode. They told me to enter Tech Support mode from the Boot Menu by depressing and holding the internal reset button on the back of the NAS. This resulted in the following messages on the display: "TFTP ARD Error - Retry: kernel_init". This set of messages was repeated several times as I continued holding the reset button. The boot menu never appeared as it was supposed to. Then I saw that the instructions on the ReadyNAS site say that the Boot Menu is accessed not by depressing the reset button, but by starting the NAS and keeping the *Start* button depressed. I did this and was able to enter Tech Support mode.

Level 2 support escalated the case to Level 3 and in about two days reported that two of the disks have bad sectors. I was told to remove them and clone at least one of them, then to replace the defective disk with the clone and boot the NAS. I cloned both defective disks, and reinserted Disk 3, then rebooted. When I did I received a message saying "C:/ 0/0 Gb available", then another saying "Volume C:/ is dead." Again like you, Disk 1, one of the healthy disks, showed 0 volumes while the other two seemed to have the correct number of volumes.

I was told to go back into Tech Support mode and wait for instructions. I should mention here that in Tech Support mode, Netgear support has telnet access to the NAS, which is how they determined which disks were defective. Again after a couple of days, I received an e-mail from another Level 3 tech support person telling me basically to do what I had already done - clone a disk, insert the cloned disk, and reboot. They also asked me to open Port 23 on the NAS and send them the IP address of the NAS. I repeat that this is at a point after which I had already done all this and was waiting with the NAS in Tech Support mode - thus there's no need for me to open a port and provide the IP, since they already have telnet access to the NAS. I called the Level 2 support person back and he checked and confirmed that they have access to the NAS.

I am now waiting for the Level 3 support person to get up to speed and actually try to access the NAS, which he clearly had not done, and realize by reading the case that I had already done what he was telling me to do. Meanwhile I'm beginning to wonder if my attempt to enter Tech Support mode via the Boot Menu using the reset button instead of the Power button (as I was instructed to do) is not the cause of the loss of the volumes on Drive 1.

NOW, having found your thread, I'm hoping that some variant of the method you used might be able to work for me. I'm beginning to get the feeling that like you, I won't get any real help from Netgear support. Any suggestions you have would be most welcome. Reading your account, I gather that I might be able to make images of the disks and then recover the data from the images under Ubuntu. I'm willing to try it, but I need to know a little more about how you made your images. Did you leave the disks in the NAS or did you attach them to a Ubuntu computer? Is there any way I might access the disks over the network while still in the NAS and run R-Suite?

Any suggestions are more than welcome.