Netgear ReadyNAS "X-Raid" 0+1

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
rubber_soul

Netgear ReadyNAS "X-Raid" 0+1

Post by rubber_soul » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:00 am

Hi There,

I would like to use R-Studio to attempt a recovery of the volumes on my ReadyNAS RAID. I'm a bit flummoxed by the user interface, and I'm not sure where to begin.

I could be mistaken, but I think the situation is that I had a 0+1 RAID configuration running on the NAS. Drive one failed. I imagine all the data should be on drive two.

I suppose I could just replace drive 1 and hope the NAS recovers on its own. However, I thought I would attempt to recover the volumes on drive 2 before proceeding with that, and that's where I hoped R-Studio could help.

On my win7 machine, I connected the NAS drive 2 using a sata caddy. I tried creating RAID images in R-Studio and dragging the drive to the RAID image, but instead of finding the volumes, it didn't do anything that I could discern.

Any suggestions?

I bought a copy of R-Studio already -- looking for tips on how to use it. The documentation seems to be quite extensive, but I wasn't able to quickly find a relevant section, so pointers on that would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Netgear ReadyNAS "X-Raid" 0+1

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:31 pm

If I'm not mistaken, there must be 3 disks to create a RAID 0+1 layout. Are you sure this is a RAID 0+1 layout?
Definition of RAID 0+1 in Wikipedia.

rubber_soul

Post by rubber_soul » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Alt wrote:If I'm not mistaken, there must be 3 disks to create a RAID 0+1 layout. Are you sure this is a RAID 0+1 layout?
Definition of RAID 0+1 in Wikipedia.
Aha! You're right. The array was definitely mirrored. If Wikipedia is correct, I suppose with only two disks it cannot be striped.

Assuming it was simply RAID 1, is there a way to recover using R-Studio? (Dragging the disk to a raid mirror object didn't seem to work, but perhaps I made a mistake.)

Thanks much.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:36 pm

If it's a mirror, not a stripe (RAID 0), you don't have to create any RAID object. Just scan the healthy disk for an ext2/3/4 file system.

rubber_soul

Post by rubber_soul » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:22 am

Alt wrote:If it's a mirror, not a stripe (RAID 0), you don't have to create any RAID object. Just scan the healthy disk for an ext2/3/4 file system.
That worked! Thanks much.