Issue Lacie 2big Raid 0 default settings on mac

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Issue Lacie 2big Raid 0 default settings on mac

Post by Alt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:31 pm

After the scan you should see Extra found files. There may be jpeg files in there. Try to preview them and see the results.

oo101oo

Post by oo101oo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:59 am

Hi Alt,

I tried to do a recovery on the jpg images and all of the images are not complete.

There are black lines in some, others you only see the top half, where some you only see the bottom half.

Also, I have no preview function on R-Studio 4.6 for images. When I goto preview I get a hex editor (which I mentioned last time).

Again, both drives are 100% healthy. It's only the indexing that seems to be damaged. I used 32K block as everyone has indicated on the form for LaCie default raid 0 when you are using factory settings.

I feel like I am missing something or a step that people are doing that no one is posting...

I see people on this forum with damaged hard-drives and damaged sectors who are able to recover a portion of the their data.

And for some reason I cannot recover 1 single file.

When I call support they just tell me to goto this forum.

It's very frustrating at this point

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 am

Looks like data on one disk is damaged.

oo101oo

Post by oo101oo » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:37 pm

ok so

- you are saying ALL the data is damaged and not 1 single piece of file can be recovered (since there are no bad sectors)....
- even though r-studio is showing all drive volumes green and recognized after a scan (does this still constitute as one disk being damaged)
- doesn't extra found files means that it found files that are "good"

I've never had a data recovery (on NTFS) that I could not recover some data, especially when it has a bad sector.

Why would this Mac file system be any different, and shouldn't the R-Studio be able to pick it up during the scans

Also I tried reverse raid and that did not work.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:19 am

1. This is RAID0, which means that if data on one disk is gone, all data is gone.
2. Lacie doesn't use the Mac file system, internally it's a Linux machine with the ext file system.

Well, consulting a data recovery pro will be a good option.