Recover raid from a inaccessible NAS

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
giobreccia

Recover raid from a inaccessible NAS

Post by giobreccia » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:12 am

Hi,

how i can recover a RAID 5 data over 4 disk attached to an inaccessible NAS THECUS, wiht r-studio?

Is it possible?

Best regards

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: Recover raid from a inaccessible NAS

Post by Alt » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:10 pm

At least it's worth trying. You need to get the disk out of the NAS THECUS, either connect them directly to a computer with R-Studio or make images of them. Then create a virtual RAID5 and try to recover the files.
The reading you may find useful:
What to do if I don't know if R-Studio can recover my files?
About RAID recovery:
RAID Recovery Presentation
Automatic RAID Parameter Detection
and some general data recovery information
File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works
Data Recovery Using R-Studio

Corsari

how to recover a Thecus NAS

Post by Corsari » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:26 am

R-Studio allows to check the hard drives S.M.A.R.T. status.

Said first that it is a sort of "self-killing" action going to work with original drives, and for that reason it is hot-suggested to clone all of them as first step, before ANY action (read notes at bottom), for backup purposes,

cloning the hdd becomes a MUST for each of the drives which the S.M.A.R.T status is not totally "green" (healthy)

Failed RAIDs on NAS devices are almost always due to wearing of the hard drives. One is dead and another fails during rebuild attempts: game over.

So watch out : check SMARTs and backup your disks.

That is the right start.

But

If drives have bad SMARTs, cloning them with common PC and cloning software is a serious risk. Also if disk looks SMART errors free but during the cloning it hangs and doesn't run smoothly, well, that slow/hanging drive is one that requires to be cloned with hardware devices (read notes at bottom): leaving that drive hanging on and on, could lead it to the click-of-death.

Regards
Robert
Technical Manager @ Recupero Dati RAID FAsTec (Italy)

USEFUL RULES and GUIDELINES
1) What to check BEFORE begin a disk image/clone process [link]
2) Disks that are too slow while imaging/cloning them [link]
3) All my posts on this forum [link]