ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Ernie2210

Re: ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Post by Ernie2210 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:13 pm

Just found the charging device and added also some more MTS and TS files.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Ernie2210 wrote:First, I want to thank you for the great support!

Currently I have added a few more videos of the Fuji XF1, as I have here the biggest problem, because I have no ending signature and find files of several gigabytes, which I can not cut with any software I have tested, because they all crash.

I will take some more videos of the Canon, when I have found the charging device ;)

Is it from your point of view possible to recover the file system of the mirrored ReadyNAS?
Should be a straight forward XFS file system on there (which R-Studio doesn't yet support). PM me and I'll tell you what you can try, I don't want to mention other software on R-TT's forum.

Edit: I take that back, my notes say it's an EXT3/4 filesystem so R-Studio should be able to recognize it if too much wasn't overwritten.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:33 pm

I also think that it was an EXT3 filesystem and there were no data overwritten. Only the factory reset was done, so that I think the filetable is overwritten?!

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:03 pm

Factory reset I imagine will create a new partition and format it to EXT3/4. So the beginning of the file system was definitely overwritten, which can be problematic for these Linux file systems. However I'd imagine that a full beginning to end scan of the drive should yield some results, unless a lot of new data was added to it, or it was using some sort of encryption before.

However I'm still not sure you should rule out it being a RAID 0. I've had dozens of customers who brought in NAS drives they swore were mirrored and they turned out to be RAID 0 in the end.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:55 am

I scanned the drives in RAID 0 configuration and some raw movie files were found. But it were pretty less files than in RAID 1 or single configuration.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:13 am

Are those files found on the RAID0 similar to files found on the RAID1?

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:00 pm

Alt wrote:Are those files found on the RAID0 similar to files found on the RAID1?
No they are not similar. There are some video files but they have only a small size and are all defective with stripes or block noise! That is no comparison to the normal scan. There I found a lot of good video files .

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:53 pm

Can it be that these disks were previously combined as RAID0?

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:27 pm

Alt wrote:Can it be that these disks were previously combined as RAID0?
No, I don't think so. I used the ReadyNAS in standard mode and for configuration in RAID0 you have to do some special steps. If you have only two disk the system will use the X-Raid " With just two disks,the disks are mirrored: Each disk holds a complete copy of your data."

The main problem is that I cant restore the filesystem, because it is overwritten. The other problem is that it is difficult to detect the files and it would be great, if the signature files were optimized, so that I don't get e.g. 16GB movie file which was only about 300MB before.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:35 am

This article explains why sometimes it's simply impossible to find a file end: File Recovery Basics: How Data Recovery Works.