ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
Ernie2210

Re: ReadyNAS Duo recovery of movie files

Post by Ernie2210 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:17 pm

Yes it was only two drives and I guess they were in RAID1, because there are a lot of same data on both drives and the system size was just one disk. On the other side it could be the proprietary X-Raid from Netgear!?

Until now I found a lot of data. But especially the move are often spreaded in parts or differnet movies in big files.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:37 am

In a mirroring setup though it really wouldn't matter if it is X-RAID. You'd still have a complete set of files on each disk, unless they are of different sizes maybe. Was the NAS really full, to the point where videos would be getting fragmented you think?

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:42 pm

Yes, the disk are same size and type. At the end the disks were quite, but also older movies are fragmented.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:34 am

I have created a signature file for my Fuji XF1 movie and found a lot of files. Some of them are very large and I could use the video repair tool from grauonline to restore some video fragments out of these files. So this is a good start and better than nothing but I think I would get better results if I optimize the signature files. Unfortunately I can't define the end of the file and also I would like to define some simliar parts with an offset from the beginning. Perhaps someone can take al look and give me some help?

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<FileTypeList version="2.0">
<FileType id="50002" group="Multimedia Video" description="Fuji XF1 Video" features="" extension="mov">
<Begin combine="AND">
<Signature>\x00\x00\x00\x14ftypqt\x20\x20\x00\x00\x00\x00qt\x20\x20\x00\x0f\x85\xa4moov\x00\x00\x00lmvhd</Signature>
</Begin>
<End combine="AND"/>
</FileType>
</FileTypeList>

Here ist the link to the sample movies https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/wd8k5jw2.j#$/

Thank you very much in advance!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Ernie2210 wrote:
Here ist the link to the sample movies https://www.hidrive.strato.com/share/wd8k5jw2.j#$/

Thank you very much in advance!
I'll do that tomorrow.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:41 pm

Alt wrote:I'll do that tomorrow.
That would be wonderful!!!

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Based on the two MTS files you posted, I'd try this one out:
MTS_1.zip
Perhaps if I had a few more MTS files to compare I could fine tune it more, but I think it'll work.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:12 am

Thank you very much. I have tried this file out and think there was a little mistake in the ending signature, because it could not find the file ending.

So I have tried to fix and also to make signatures for the other filetypes and find still a lot of files. But most of them are still to big e.g. contain several different fragmented videos.

I think the main problem is still to find the end of the files. The MTS and TS File seem to have same ending signatures but not with the same offset. And for the Fuji XF1 I can't find any ending signature.

Is it possible that the file size is given in the header and to read it out and use this information in the xml file?

Best regards,

Ernie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Data-Medics

Post by Data-Medics » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 am

If you're finding several different fragmented videos in the files, then the problem is unlikely the signature it's the simple fact that the data is fragmented. Fragmented data will always be corrupted unless you're able to recover the filesystem entries or do the work of manually defragmenting the files.

If you'll post five or six sample videos (using the exact camera originally used) of the same type I can fine tune the signature to make it more accurate. Using just two files can be problematic as I mentioned before. Just need more to compare. Also I notice that these MTS files will still play just fine even if there's extra junk data at the end of them (only a Mac might have trouble with playing them and even then VLC can fix it). That's why I just added 6000 bytes to the end of the signature as the only unique marker I could definitely see was around 4000 bytes from the end (and not a consistent number of bytes).

Ernie2210

Post by Ernie2210 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:43 pm

First, I want to thank you for the great support!

Currently I have added a few more videos of the Fuji XF1, as I have here the biggest problem, because I have no ending signature and find files of several gigabytes, which I can not cut with any software I have tested, because they all crash.

I will take some more videos of the Canon, when I have found the charging device ;)

Is it from your point of view possible to recover the file system of the mirrored ReadyNAS?