RAID migration power loss recovery

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
out-o-ideas

RAID migration power loss recovery

Post by out-o-ideas » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:42 pm

I have a bad situation where I was migrating a brand new system with a RAID 0 to RAID 10 and I had literally a 100ms brownout causing my RAID reconfiguration to crap out. (No I didn't have a backup of my data and no I didn't have a UPS, please don't judge me :oops: I know I screwed up) I now have 4x3TB drives rendered rather useless without trying to reconstruct either the original RAID 0 or the new RAID 10 (wherever it left off during the process). This is a system based on an Adaptec HW RAID Adapter 6805E. Do I need to reinitialize the drives before I can recreate the RAID in R-Studio? Right now R-Studio doesn't see the individual drives, only a bunch of unknown logical partitions without any real files to speak of.

If I have to resort to a RAID recovery service @ $1500+, I may have to do this but I really thought R-Studio looked like the right tool to do this at a fraction of the cost. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Alt
Site Moderator

Re: RAID migration power loss recovery

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:27 pm

I think you should try to create a virtual RAID 0 from the old disks. See R-Studio's on-line help for details: Volume Sets, Stripe Sets, and Mirrors. You may use this free software ReclaiMe Free RAID Recovery to find the necessary parameters.
I think, as the power outage was very short, the data shouldn't be seriously damaged.