Thin Provision Parity Storage Space Problem

Discussions on using the professional data recovery program R-STUDIO for RAID re-construction, NAS recovery, and recovery of various disk and volume managers: Windows storage spaces, Apple volumes, and Linux Logical Volume Manager.
MattPayne

Thin Provision Parity Storage Space Problem

Post by MattPayne » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:07 am

Storage space presentation -

Storage Pool consisting of...

10GB SSD Journal
10GB SSD LOG
3TB HDD
3TB HDD
3TB HDD
3TB HDD

on the pool is one thinly provisioned Parity Volume of 30TB (circa 10TB usable with about 9TB of data)

R-Studio correctly displays all disks and the storage space of 30TB, but doing a scan of the space returns no valid partitions.

I can create a virtual RAID which R-Studio interoperates as a RAID4 array of 2.74TB size. A scan shows the correct file structure. Previewing .jpg files brings up the ASCII viewer not a picture preview. recovering a small picture file (in demo mode) recovers a file that wont open.

The array is recoverable - the tool on http://www.storage-spaces-recovery.com/ instantly shows the storage space, volume and filestructure, it allows successful previewing of the jpg and txt files.
Do you have any idea how I can replicate this with your software which appears to be a much more feature rich offering.

MattPayne

Re: Thin Provision Parity Storage Space Problem

Post by MattPayne » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:50 am

Drives are connected to an LSI H5-25326-01 HBA

Storage Spaces Management shows all disks healthy

Storage Spaces Managemnt shows the Parity volume with a warning - Event logs do not clarify the warning further than it having a bad block.

If you mount the Volume, disk management shows the disk as a 30TB un-initialized volume.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 am

Thanks for reporting the problem. I've passed the problem to our developers and are waiting for their response.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 am

1. What is the Windows version?
2. R-Studio should show a "Storage pool" partition on each 3TB disk. Can you create a 1 MB region on those partitions, image them, and then send them to us?

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 am

MattPayne wrote:
R-Studio correctly displays all disks and the storage space of 30TB, but doing a scan of the space returns no valid partitions.
Which space did you scan? One that R-Studio assembled, or one that Windows did?

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks for the replies I will answer each as best I can...

the OS is Server 2012r2 Standard

I have tried scanning in the following ways...
mounting the volume I am trying to recover using the storage spaces control panel, then scanning Msft Storage Space 0.1 - this shows the volume as 30TB. When the scan progresses the squares stay the same colour (unrecognized) and at the end it displays no partitions.

not mounting the volume, creating a virtual RAID and scanning this. the Virtual volume set starts at 0Bytes and is 10.94TB, below this is StoragePool01 (my storagepool) starting from 129MB and a size 9.87TB. the scan completes and shows a series of orange Recognized structures. One of the orange recognized structures is browseable and displays my data, but none of the files will preview correctly - neither .jpg or .txt

you would like me to create 1mb structures and email those, how would you like me to do this? is this done in r-studio or within windows. the storage pool doesn't have any spare space for a second volume and my volume mounts in windows and shows as un-initialized in windows. I am reluctant to write to these disks in case it reduces my chances of recovery.

Thanks again for your quick response
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:28 pm

MattPayne wrote: you would like me to create 1mb structures and email those, how would you like me to do this? is this done in r-studio or within windows. the storage pool doesn't have any spare space for a second volume and my volume mounts in windows and shows as un-initialized in windows. I am reluctant to write to these disks in case it reduces my chances of recovery.
Oh! Sure, nothing should be written to the disks with the storage space.
What we actually ask you to do:
1. In R-Studio, find the 3TB disks from the space and the "Storage pool" partitions on them.
2. Create a 1 MB region on each "Storage pool" partition. Regions in R-Studio are purely virtual objects and no changes to the disk data will be made. This help page shows how to do that: Regions.
3. Create compressed images of those regions and send them to us. I think you may simply e-mail them to raptorbck (at) gmail (dot) com. The help page: Images/

MattPayne

Post by MattPayne » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Alt wrote:
MattPayne wrote: you would like me to create 1mb structures and email those, how would you like me to do this? is this done in r-studio or within windows. the storage pool doesn't have any spare space for a second volume and my volume mounts in windows and shows as un-initialized in windows. I am reluctant to write to these disks in case it reduces my chances of recovery.
Oh! Sure, nothing should be written to the disks with the storage space.
What we actually ask you to do:
1. In R-Studio, find the 3TB disks from the space and the "Storage pool" partitions on them.
2. Create a 1 MB region on each "Storage pool" partition. Regions in R-Studio are purely virtual objects and no changes to the disk data will be made. This help page shows how to do that: Regions.
3. Create compressed images of those regions and send them to us. I think you may simply e-mail them to raptorbck (at) gmail (dot) com. The help page: Images/
Thanks, the links above return a 404, but I think I have created the images, they have been emailed, thanks!

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:02 pm

Sorry for my mistakes, I corrected the links in my previous post.

Alt
Site Moderator

Post by Alt » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:06 pm

I've received the images, we'll look at them.